Auxiliary Brake Brands?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Auxiliary Brake Brands?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll-Carlsbad CA on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 02:52 pm:

Our 1914 Touring was purchased with "Rocky Mountain" brakes in 1969. However the brand - as near as I can tell is "LOCK GOOD"
and bears an additional notation 21R on the right wheel and
21L on the left wheel. Has anyone done an inventory of how many brands of auxiliary brakes were made for T's? Photos (upside down, so they are readable) are attached. Just wondering.

Craig in Carlsbad CA.
Aux. Brake R
Aux. Brake L

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 04:56 pm:

Well, I'm sure I don't know all or even a significant percentage of the brands, but there's Bennett, Rockie Mountian, and AC that I know of (and of couse your Lock Good brand).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 09:35 pm:

There is also Stronghold.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 10:56 pm:

Pikes Peak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 04:09 am:

Master Brake.
I've seen several original sets that don't have any name on them.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll-Carlsbad CA on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 04:53 pm:

"Stronghold" is a nice one.
Much better than something like "Oh Dear!"

Smile; )

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 09:13 pm:

Anyone want to guess who made these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:21 pm:

You made them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 12:31 am:

Looks like Buick bands and mechanism put on a very well made bracket.
Drive carefully (you've got a good start with those brakes), and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:43 pm:

Here is a Pikes Peak set up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/5584270764/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:44 pm:

Royce, whats the poop on those snazzy brakes above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 12:09 am:

I have a set of MASTER BRAKES that I plan to use. I have the drums (10" cast iron) the brackets, and the bands. I plan to adapt the rocky mountain linkage to them.

Does anybody have a set on their car? How do the drums bolt to the hubs? They are cast iron, so will require longer bolts, but the holes are also square like the bolts would come through from the inside. Is this correct? Is there a special plate with round holes for the outside of the hub? Special nuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:16 pm:

Royce's brakes could be from a fellow by the name of Jess Bonar - he manufactured a similar modern version but that was quite a few years back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:35 pm:

Here are some more versions. None have any names on them. The first two I took off the shelf, both used wire cable to pull them on.

This first one is for a small drum and bolts to the bottom radius rod bolt and the rear handbrake pivot bolt. Note the lever is at the back and pull forward over the top of the axle.

extbrake01

extbrake02

This one is for 26-27 large drum rear end and uses the radius rod bolts.

extbrake27

These ones are on my Fronty and were adapted from a Dodge.

RMFronty01

RMFronty02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 06:44 am:

The brakes on the '14 were made from scratch by my Dad about 20 years ago. A single brake rod goes down the middle to the cross tube. These brakes work just as well backward as they do forward.

Of course the transmission brake still is functional too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 06:50 am:

Royce's dad's brakes are similar in design to Chevy brakes c:a 1926-'28.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 08:25 am:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration