King of Cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: King of Cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 05:16 pm:

Anyone ever do business with King of Cars in Deptford NJ? He had a 24 touring car on eBay and it was sold and relisted three times. He claims the sellers never followed thru. It looks like a nice car but I wonder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 12:38 am:

That one (don't click if you have dialup) >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-TOURING-1924-FORD-MODEL-T-TOURING-CA R-FRAME-UP-RESTO-MUSEUM-FRESH-RARE-FIND-NO-RESERVE-/280768393014?pt=US_Cars_Truc ks&hash=item415f19af36

I asked a seller who re-listed a T that had been "sold".
I politely asked "Why doesn't the high bidder have the car" and the seller responded "bead beat bidder".
Oddly he got more for the car the second time around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 09:14 am:

I too have seen this car listed several times. I find it hard to believe that everyone who won the bid on this "no reserve" car is a dead beat. They should put a minimum of what they want for the car or sell it as they advertise with "no reserve".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 09:24 am:

"Dead beat bidders" Happens all the time on ebay they may have a buddy pumping the bids for them and then when the buddy has the high bid at auction end, they have to relist as the bidder did not follow through on auction. I'll bet more of this goes on than we'll ever know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 01:28 pm:

Well, I purchased the car yesterday off eBay after I was contacted by the seller. (I had called a couple weeks back to ask questions and I guess he kept my phone number.)
I was told the high bidder "backed out of the sale" once again. I hope things are on the up and up. I checked the dealership and it looks to be legitimate and the owner is the guy who contacted me, at least according to my caller ID. All his eBay feedback is very good and everything checks out so far. I suspect he had some shills running up the price, but can't proove it. Regardless, I paid what the car was worth to me. When he tried to squeeze more out of me, I told him truthfully I was prepared to walk away unless he accepted my offer. He reluctantly did accept complaining he didn't make a dime on the car. How many times have you heard that one?
I probably overpaid when you consider the cost of transporting it 2800 miles (from NJ to Folsom CA) but the car really looks good. What sold me was the outstanding body and top. I can do any mechanical repairs if necessary, although the seller swears it runs good.
What do you think? My girlfriend has chewed my a-- about it already so I am well prepared for negative feedback. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 02:17 pm:

Richard,

Be careful how you pay for this car to insure it is not scam. A friend recently was the "High bidder" on eBay for a $50k street rod for $21K. Sounded too good to be true, but he thought he was protected by eBay holding his money in escrow until he accepted the car. Turned out to be that the escrow "BANK" was not eBay's and his $21k is GONE! Looked just like the eBay logo in the escrow information, but the "bank' was elsewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 02:25 pm:

Richard, you are probably rich and handsome and can easily find another girlfriend but where are you going to find a Model T this good for that kind of money???? Geez, some women just don't understand the important things in life, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 02:28 pm:

It's been a few years back they busted a ring of ebayers pumping bids on art they was selling high dollar art and noticed some of the same bidders bidding on the sellers auctions but not bidding on anything else. If I remember right it made national news....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. Portales, New Mexico on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 02:53 pm:

Richard,

One of the benefits since getting involved in the hobby and meeting honest hobbyists both in my region and on this forum is that you can Ask for Help! Iím sure there are club and forum members in the area who could go inspect the car and report to you firsthand what condition the car is in and what kind of person youíre dealing with.

Another thing is watch out for scams. As others have mentioned above, be careful about how you pay if you decide to buy it. If you're not sure how to go about paying in a safe manner, ask your banker or attorney for advice.

You want this to be a wonderful experience but be cautious and careful!

Wish you the best,

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 09:58 pm:

Thanks, I'll proceed with caution. Stan, you gave me a good laugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:27 pm:

Richard,

You must be "going for the younger ones" ( car, not girlfriend). If this T turns out for you, maybe you should ship me that "old" Model F. :-)

Good lick,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:28 pm:

Should say "good luck".

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:10 pm:

What's your address Rob? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:15 pm:

Richard,

Just ship it to Milford Nebraska, also known as "the Tri Cities", Milford, Lincoln and Omaha.

:-)

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:55 pm:

If that car's mechanicals are as good as its looks, you got a keeper. Very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 02:23 pm:

Richard - WOW! What a beauty! It'll be hard to resist the temptation to fire that beauty up and hit the road for a test drive, however, an immediate safety inspection is a MUST! Not trying to be "negative", but I believe I read that the car has only been driven 10 miles since the restoration years ago. I noticed in the very nice detail photos of the car that the two studs for the front wishbone socket have not been safety wired. That would make me wonder if perhaps there might be a few cotter pins missing or improperly installed as well. Sometimes even professional restorers are not always totally aware of, or careful about such details. SAFETY FIRST, right? Like "first" before driving much further than off of the delivery truck!

Congratulations on your new "T"; about as clean and perfect looking Model T as I've ever seen! Well, okey; maybe it doesn't have '24 front fenders but so what; it's a gorgeous Model "T"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:01 pm:

Congratulations, Richard, she's a beauty. The paint and upholstery look great. And whoever installed that top did a wonderful job. (It looks like they forgot to raise the hood when they took it to the car wash. :-) ) I don't think you got hurt on the deal; it's a nice one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:27 am:

HMMMM???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1924-FORD-MODEL-T-TOURING-CAR-FRAME-UP-RESTO-RARE -CLASSIC-NICE-NO-RESERVE-/270877019340?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f11874ccc

This car is for sale AGAIN? What happened? It must be the 4th time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:40 am:

Yeh, Richard, you better get a lawyer!

Sure hope you didn't lose any money. But you could be that guy's worst nightmare.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:56 am:

The current no-reserve bid is $8000, but down in the vehicle description is the figure $16,500. If somebody gets it for eight grand, it's a bargain. If it gets up to the wish price, it's not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:46 am:

I'm holding my breath!
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:57 pm:

Proceed with caution. I backed out after a friend viewed the car and sent me photos with commments. I believe I still have the photos if anyone is truely interested in bidding.
rgould1910@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:41 pm:

I, and many others, are just glad you did not get badly stung! It is hard to understand how a car that looks that sharp in so many photos can be seriously flawed. But I know they can be. I never have understood how so many people can buy cars without looking them over closely first. It is good that you had someone check it out for you.
Drive (and buy) carefully, and enjoy the season! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 03:42 pm:

I personally would be interested in seeing the photos you have. Click my name and send me an email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 03:48 pm:

Oh what the heck. Post them here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 04:44 pm:

They won't post due to the size. If you want to see the photos, you need to provide your email address; the web contact has no provision for attaching photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 08:57 pm:

Couple of things I should mention. The car does not run on magneto. Completely dead. The radiator needs to be replaced, not soldered, replaced. The dealer had it at Hershey and drove it around. My friend saw the guy start the car without putting the spark rod up. Draw your own conclusions. It ran rough at first but smoothed out after a while. From the looks of things, I would have wanted to pull the engine. I wasn't really looking for a project. I've got enough of those. My friend thought it was a bit overpriced at $11,500. I agree. If someone wants an old restoration that looks good and is willing to go thru it mechanically if need be, this might be the car for you, but I think you need to consider not only the cost up front, but the cost in transporting it and the cost of going thru it. For me, the numbers just didn't make sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:18 pm:

Wow, the "other" pictures would make you think it wasn't the same car. I can't believe it....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:52 am:

If the car has been restored, why does the engine look like it just came out of the barn? My OP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:39 am:

Yeah, I gotta say it doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look like $11,500 either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 09:04 am:

This morning we're up to $9600. Based on the comments above,it's too much. Apparently this car is like my touring. The guys who "restored" it did a pretty fair job on the body but ignored the mechanicals because it was running. So now I'm going through the mechanical stuff a bit at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 10:00 am:

To each his own, and I know there are a lot of you that have bought cars sight unseen, but I would be quite reluctant to do so. Even if you have someone else look it over for you, you could still be disappointed. The guy looking it over may be thinking you want an absolute trailer queen while you are willing to accept some minor imperfections. The guy looking it over might think you are willing to accept a few minor imperfections, when you are looking for a trailer queen. Or more probably, what you and he see as 'acceptable' is two different things. What may be acceptable to some is not to others. I'm willing to risk running a good running engine until I feel it needs going through. Others will want to pull it apart upon delivery to ensure the rods are within a thousandth of a gram of one another. Like I said, I would be very reluctant to buy sight unseen and I would also be reluctant to look at a car for someone else for fear that I would overlook something that was important to them. I'd hate to feel responsible for them not being pleased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 11:58 am:

Hal, I hear ya. The friend who looked at it expressed much the same concern.
Maybe I worry too much, but the fact that the seller, a dealer without knowledge of Model Ts, drove it around Hershey this last year bothers me. He certainly didn't know enough to start the car correctly.
He was willing to drop $500 of the agreed price because of the radiator and magneto problems, which he claims were a surprise to him. (Had you seen the accumulated rust ender the top hose, the pooling of coolant and the steam that came up from leaks in the seams when the car was running, you would have a hard time believing him.) Had he agreed to pay for a new radiator, however, I probably would have accepted. At least then. Now I am glad I passed on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:02 pm:

Hal, I hear ya. The friend who looked at it expressed much the same concern.
Maybe I worry too much, but the fact that the seller, a dealer without knowledge of Model Ts, drove it around Hershey this last year bothers me. He certainly didn't know enough to start the car correctly.
He was willing to drop $500 of the agreed price because of the radiator and magneto problems, which he claims were a surprise to him. (Had you seen the accumulated rust ender the top hose, the pooling of coolant and the steam that came up from leaks in the seams when the car was running, you would have a hard time believing him.) Had he agreed to pay for a new radiator, however, I probably would have accepted. At least then. Now I am glad I passed on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 01:53 pm:

Richard, it looks to me you were the winner on this deal! It just amazes me how some people will use a fairly decent commodity to troll for the biggest sucker they can find. To some sellers a win win is just poor business practice. Nice car...wrong seller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:04 pm:

Thanks John, I was pretty nervous all along because the car had been listed and "sold" on eBay three or four times before I got involved. He let it slip when we were talking price that he wouldn't have sold the car for the high bid anyway. When I said, "Oh, I thought it was a no reserve auction," his reply was simply "Look at my eBay rating".
He maintained all along that the high bidders were dead beats. I guess that now includes me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 04:29 pm:

Richard, If prudent buying makes you a deadbeat, then count me in too! - John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:45 pm:

I have that car on my watch list.......again.
I didn't realize it's the same car.......again.
They must have had the radiator drained when they took the pics....... ( uh oh )

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration