Another accessory carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Another accessory carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:52 am:

Here is another interesting one, this is made by American Watch Tool Company, Waltham, Massachusetts. Aluminum body with a few brass parts. Pretty basic carb, not much different than a 3 screw Holley except a little larger throat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 12:12 pm:

lStan:

You are an artiest at making old cars look nice (super).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 12:15 pm:

Stan:

I meant to say you are good at making a carb look good !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 01:17 pm:

That's a beauty Uncle Stan. I hope you don't have to wind it up for it to work though!

One of these days, I hafta get me one of your Stromberg carburetors! Hmmn, I wonder what my Tilly-XF on my racer would look like with a bit of rouge on it? Yeah I know, dorky!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 06:52 pm:

Are you sure this isn't off a Metz?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 07:13 pm:

Neat! Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 07:34 pm:

Could be, they were used on the mid teens Metz. I believe they also advertised them as an accessory for Model T. Maybe not. I don't have much reference material from the teens. The Metz was made in Waltham, Mass where the Waltham watch was made and where the Waltham Watch Tool Company was located.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 03:16 pm:

A little off topic but looking at Stan's carb's adjusting knob I noticed the straight knurl used. In reproducing these adjusting knob for a T carb rebuilder I have notice too the varying styles of knurls used. Each for a different years, type or manufacturers. They all seemed to used 1-14" brass round stock but it ended there. Some were threaded with an odd 1/4-32 thread to the needle shaft, some are reamed to a 1/4"dia. hole that were then pinned to the needle shaft. The 4 ball carb knob was also under cut on the bottom. No standardization back then. So to make it right he wants these variances reproduced for carbs he is rebuilds. Bob

adjusting knobs

adjusting knobs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 06:09 pm:

Hello Stan:
Are the internals to this carb similar to the Holley? I've got a couple of H1's that appear to be in excellent condition, where both display issues with the float randomly not shutting off flow. One carb had a neoprene tip and orifice retrofitted, but is no more relaible than without. I saw this carb on Ebay last week and was curious whether somebody back in the day had created a better mousetrap.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:03 pm:

Cool knurling Bob. That's one of the things I haven't experimented with on the lathe yet. (Got it earlier this year)

Stan, refresh my memory - do you have a website showing all your carbs? It would be great to be able to look through them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:34 pm:

Scott, the innards look almost exactly like a Holley G. Craig, my website is www.strombergof.com or www.brasscarburetor.com or www.brasscarburetors.com or www.modeltfordcarburetor.com
I like those cheap godaddy websites. I have about a dozen of them.

Craig, what kind of lathe did you buy? I have a Jet 13 x 36 and a couple smaller ones, just bought a very nice old Craftsman/Atlas at an auction a couple weeks ago that I am trying to sell. If I can get it sold I'm going to sell my Jet and buy a slightly larger one. Maybe a Summitt but I'm going to do some looking first. I've been shopping a little, I want a gear head, I think and a couple other features. My Jet is nice, it's about 15 years old and I have good tooling for it but you know how it is, always want something bigger and better. The Atlas lathe, by the way, is on my www.montanabarncars.com web site. Might have it sold but no money has changed hands yet. I found out a long time ago it ain't over till the fat lady's check cleared the bank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:38 pm:

I should have said that I finally have them a little better displayed. I bought a china cabinet at the same auction I bought the Atlas lathe at, spent half a day getting it inside and set up with lights in it to show off the carb collection. I'm working on display stands for them but at this point just have them laying on the shelves. When I put them in I counted them and I have 42 different accessory carburetors for Model T. Of course, the American Watch Tool Co. one may not be for a Model T but I have a couple others that aren't in there yet. I'm trying to get them ready to take to Hutchinson for the seminar to put on display.

I gotta get back to work in the shop, I have an OE-1 that needs to go to Scotland this week or the guy is going to come after me with a big club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 08:42 pm:

Here is the new showcase, it's already full. Need more room. Some sources say there were over 200 different accessory carbs made for the T. This is all I've been able to find in 10 years of hunting.

Two of my favorites, a Zenith built for a T and a Zenith waiting for a manifold.

This is a Rayfield. Here's a few that aren't ready for display. Some are not T carbs and some are duplicates to what I have on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:28 pm:

Wow, thanks! Not only are the pictures interesting to look at, they are very valuable for when my dad or wife start on me about how many parts I have. Just print out photo, show them, and say "I could have THIS much stuff instead!".

We bought one of these:
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1440B.html

The lathe is fine but the vendor leaves a lot to be desired. Send me an email if you want any details. I have dates, descriptions, photos, and prices of how it all went down. We also bought a 9x49 mill from him at the same time.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:19 pm:

That's nothing. You should see the parts room, the shop, the two storage units and the piles at the ranch. Plus the stuff I have in eastern Montana at my ranch there. This is just carburetors. We be talking engines, rear ends, lotsa stuff. If I sold it all I could buy a 14 roadster like I've wanted for 50 years. Thanks for the link on the lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:33 pm:

Stan Nice carb(s). I sent a PM about some parts for a Kingston and Schebler. If you didn't get it PM me and I will resend.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 11:00 pm:

Sorry, no got, Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:41 am:

Ok, I sent you a PM.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration