Model T Assembly Line

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Model T Assembly Line
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 07:05 pm:

Here is a video of Model T assembly...perhaps it has been seen before...but it is new to me.

Click here: http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=S4KrIMZpwCY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 10:05 pm:

Some of the narration is true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 12:14 am:

Did you notice how they clobbered that steering wheel on the 15 millionth car while lowering the body on the chassis?
Mike Sa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:08 am:

Did you notice he cranked it with his right hand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:52 am:

I have night mares about that poor bugger putting the spokes in the felloes. Can you imagine doing that for 8 hours a day? Never mind 10. His hands must have moved like that in his sleep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:00 am:

Charlie,

Sort of reminds me of my youth. My first "real" job was at a local cannery forking 303 cans from the line to a pallet. I lasted about a week or 10 days then learned to drive a forklift as an escape and because it paid about $0.10 an hour more.

Did anyone else notice that when the narrator was giving the list of Model T body types he included "stationwagon"? I don't think I've ever seen one.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:57 pm:

Henry - Not only did Ford never build a "station wagon" during the Model T era, I don't believe that the term "Station Wagon" even existed during the Model T era. The first during the "T" era were depot hacks and they only came about by some hotel or resort that bought a Model T chassis and had a coachmaker build a wooden depot hack or huckster body. I'm pretty sure that because of the success and popularity of such depot hacks, when Ford came out with the Model A, they decided that they should build a factory built one and it THEN became known as a station wagon.

Just as an "aside", it is amazing how many people that have been using the term "station wagon" all their lives, had no idea what they were saying, and that the "station" was actually a railroad station or "depot" and that the name station wagon was a direct descendent of the term "depot hack". Actually, there were many "hacks" that were horse-drawn "hacks" long before automobiles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

Did you notice that the body types included tourings, roadsters, and convertibles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:24 pm:

I guess all open cars are "Convertibles" to the average person nowadays. I think Ford did use that term for the A-400 (or was it 400-A) in the Model A years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 04:29 pm:

Actually, the term "station wagon" pre-dates the automobile. The station wagon or depot wagon is a form of the horse drawn carriage known as a Rockaway.

Below is an ad showing a Studebaker station wagon. Although the ad dates to 1908, the term station wagon has been around since at least the late 1800s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 04:45 pm:

Erik

and here is a 'horseless' station wagon.

1908 Pope-Waverly Electric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:28 pm:

An observation, when they are driving the cars out of the factory, the first part shows right hand drive and the guy leaning agenst the building on the right hand side of the door. then in the next piece the cars are left hand drive and they are turning left and this time the guy is leaning on the building on the left side of the door. Did they splice the film and get the first part upside down? Am I seeing things? Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration