Pulling a trailer with a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Pulling a trailer with a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:55 am:

The title says it. I plan to build a little trailer to pull with the '23 touring. I'd be interested to see how people who have done this attached a hitch to their car. I have an idea, but somebody else may have a better one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Lawson Texas on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:22 am:

'Mikey' and I (well . . 'Mikey') welded a tube hitch to a spare tire we (well . . 'Mikey') cut down to accomodate the 2" tube - came out real nice!!

I Still don't have that 'picture' thang down yet! If anyone can give me an e-mail address to send a pic to - maybe they can get it on this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Lawson Texas on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:40 am:

No problem with that thing 'swaying'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Lawson Texas on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:38 am:

None so far. We use this trailer as a camper and have pulled it several hundred miles. Loaded weight is about 300 #s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 12:28 pm:

A lot of "U" shaped hitches can be found at swap meets. They mount under the spring shackle bolts similar to the pictures shown in the earlier posting above. Most of these hitches are short and if you are using a spare tire at the rear, you probably will not be able to use them. This "U" shaped hitch shown in the photo is a slightly longer one and does clear the spare tire mounted at the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 12:57 pm:

Here is an older thread with a whole bunch of photos:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/69246.html?1226098461

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 12:59 pm:

Steve, lots to choose from in the thread Jim linked to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 03:38 pm:

Some good looking hitches posted. I'd be interested in Dean Yoder's opinion on this. He's probably pulled a trailer with a Model T more than anyone. I think there was a picture of his hitch setup on the forum but I wasn't able to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 04:48 pm:

Dean's trailer rig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 06:47 pm:

The trailer hitch on Dad's 14 touring mounts to the rear spring hangers:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:45 pm:

This is just the thread I have been waiting for. That does not seem so bad to make up.

Thanks guys,

AKD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A. Woods on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:03 am:

I made mine up from a 26-27 gooseneck tire carrier that had been cut off before I obtained it. I'll post pictures of it and the trailer when I finish everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:10 am:

Here is one that was posted here on the Forum some time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:20 am:

I have a period trailer taillight hook up for a T if any of you T trailer totters are interested, I don't plan on using it myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 08:03 pm:

Here is the one one my 17 open express. Not great photos but enough to give you an idea. You could probably drag a tank with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:32 am:

Hey Steve look at this setup that I found on Model T Haven's site. Talk about a simplistic setup, not sure how good an idea it is, but apparently it worked well enough, since the car and it's rear end are still around.

The car it's on is listed as a 1921 touring, but really looks more like a early 22 (look at the top and rear fender iron mountings, that "S" structure is characteristic of 22's and later)

By the way, it's a damn good price for a pretty much intact car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 03:12 am:

I did the same thing as Terry. I took a goose neck tire carrier, cut the tube and flipped it over, inserted a sleeve and welded it back together. (this made it into a drop hitch that comes through the center of the spare on my 25 coupe) I then welded a hitch into the end of it. I left the triangle piece on the end and use the stud holes for a place to hook the safety chains. I leave mine on all the time, it is a great conversation piece and it looks basically like it belongs there. If the car wasn't in storage, I would snap a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley near Melboune Australia on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 05:34 am:

How it was done "In the day"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 07:07 am:

Hummm? The 'HEAD' must be towards the aft of that boat . . . I can see . . . (ready for this . . )
The HEAD BOARD!!
'Mikey' MADE me do it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 03:36 pm:

She's missin the engine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley near Melboune Australia on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:22 pm:

Yup! Those ol' T's seem to bee the real . . .
'Chick Wagon' . . . No tellin' how many babes jus' hop in for a ride!

That iz - unless . . . You guessed it:

'Mikey's ' with me!!

LOVE him but - he shore iz ugly!! One hell-ov-a welder though . .

Don't know why he kep' sayin - "Look towards the light" . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:03 am:

Hello Gents,
I've had 4 emails sent to me inquiring about the trailer light hook up also requesting pictures. If your interested I need your email address in order to forward you pictures of the item.... I have replied to all 4 of you.

I still have it, first one to commit to it is the new owner no one has asked me to hold it for them.
Asking $70 obo.... shipping free in the US.

Thanks, Steve. 1-423-284-9750

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration