I drug a 1921 model t home(frame and running gear only).It had been sitting for approx.20 years in a field. I have freed up the engine and got it running with the tires in the air but the problem im having is the transmission is stuck in gear.I just dont know where to go from here.
The clutch might be stuck. Have you tried jumping on the 2 outside pedals at the same time with the engine running? Probably have but if not it might be worth a try.
Hold the low pedal in the clutch position and use the foot brake. See if thatll stop the wheels. Is the brake lever actuating the trans linkage properly?
What happens if you mash down on low and the clutches are stuck? A stall? ws
I go at it a little differently when I get these parked for 20 years and the tranny is stuck, but the engine does run.
I chock both front wheels, use a high lift jack under one rear wheel, and then start the engine, adjust them for smooth and time, and then take the throttle up a good bit...then just stand there and pulse the brake lever. Hold the spring release and pull the lever in, goes to stall just pulse it, and 95% of the time if it is just stuck plates, they always let go, so I just pulse it a few more times and then do an oil change with some ATF in it. I'd say that of the remainder of 5% when it doesn't work, most of the time I can take a half turn out of the clutch fingers and try again, usually with success. The rest? Well thats what scratching your hair out is for and you usually have to go deep digging
Thanks for the ideas, I have to get some more fuel in it and try again. I will keep posted
Ok back to my stuck transmission,I have tried running the car and pushing on the pedals to free up the clutch but its not free yet. I have both rear wheels in the air and jack stands, will that work or do I need to drop 1 tire. What Im getting is when running the tires are turning but it will go into reverse and I think that the low and high seems to be working ( hard to tell that)....Thanks ....Jim
I'm confused. The only way it will go into Low or Reverse is for the clutch to be disengaged. Sounds like it is working.
It sounds like its merely normal drag on the clutches just spinning the rear wheels. Try it on the ground yet?
I have not tried on the ground yet I have never driven one of these and I guess Im just scared I will wreck it. I guess I will block the wheels and try it
Get it warmed up like you've been running it, then put it on the ground. With the lever all the way back (and wheels blocked as necessary), see if you can turn the engine over with the hand crank. If so, you are most likely in business.
When the engine is running with the wheels jacked up, Pull on the parking brake lever all the way back. Push on the foot brake hard. Does that kill the engine? If it kills the engine, the transmission is locked in gear. If it does not kill the engine, it is OK. There is some drag on the clutch all the time, and if one or both wheels are jacked up in neutral, it will tend to spin the wheels. When everything is warmed up and the parking brake is in the neutral position, and you turn the hand crank, the car should not move. If it does move forward, something is too tight. Either the clutch or the low band.