Drive shaft miss match

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Drive shaft miss match
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 07:43 pm:

I have a 13 rear axle and was wondering if a later model ie 1919 1922 drive shaft assembly will properly fit the Diff housing?
Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 07:45 pm:

You will need the enclosed spool,but could use the front driveshaft housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 07:53 pm:

Great thanks that's what I wondered!
Thanks Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:33 pm:

I don't even see where you need an enclosed spool. I know all Perfecto housings had the recess for the early spool but they were manufactured in 21, a year after the introduction of the open spool. I figure the manufacturer believed you could use either spool with the housing so why not just make the one with the recess.
To summarize, I think you can use a later spool on an early RE housing, the one with the recessed lip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 04:28 pm:

I believe Richard is right. The later spool has a flat surface at the rear and so will mate with the earlier diff housing. You cannot put an early tailshaft assembly with a closed spool on a later diff because of the lip on the back of the closed spool.
Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 04:29 pm:

I believe Richard is right. The later spool has a flat surface at the rear and so will mate with the earlier diff housing. You cannot put an early tailshaft assembly with a closed spool on a later diff because of the lip on the back of the closed spool.
Allan from down under

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration