OT: Ebay Model A with a T to come

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT: Ebay Model A with a T to come
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 09:50 pm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=3006 28754372&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#v4-42

Granted it has six days to go but it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
A 1923 T is forthcoming as well according to the auction listing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:32 pm:

Looks like a very amateur restoration! No shocks, sagging front spring, bad upholstery, black painted bumpers, ugly stone guard, reproduction radiator shell, and probably poorly done mechanicals.

That's not counting the paint scheme and crooked valve stems.

I'm surprised that car is bringing that much money!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:56 pm:

"Original 4 speed"?????
When they show the T it will no doubt be the one with the wooden batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:18 pm:

I don't claim to know much, but it looks like a pretty decent car. Sure it needs a few things, but what a nice driver! It never ceases to amaze me that the only perfect restored cars belong to their owners and everyone else's car is junk. Whatever it takes to make one feel better about themselves!

PS I have no affiliation to this car or seller period, just flustrated at some of the attitudes on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:24 pm:

Sheesh Luke. Please don't look at any of my cars. I'd be fairly pleased if my tudor winds up looking something like that once dad and I are done. Yes it's annoying when a non-car-person writes up an Ebay auction, but I didn't almost hurl when I saw the photos like you apparently did! Higher standards apparently.... haha

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:36 pm:

If somebody wanted to give it to me, I wouldn't turn it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:50 pm:

There is a reason above why I've never done shows.
I would never, EVER, take anything to a show where there is judging or trophies.
Everything I have is to play with......not be picked apart or polished every time I play.
My ratty coupe and "pretty decent" touring car get attention every single time I have them out which is daily for one or the other (until there is salt on the roads).
The next owner can do whateverthehell they want.
Until then.........I'll just keep having fun....... :-)

Whatever.......I think that's a damn nice looking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 12:12 am:

I notice things like I pointed out because I build them for a living. It wasn't meant to be mean or contrary, just pointing out some obvious shortcomings. People are bidding good money for a subpar car simply because they probably don't know what they are looking at.

FYI- I don't have show cars either, 3 aren't even restored, my 56 yr old daily driver has no upholstery and a couple rust holes, but I don't make it out to be something it is not.

Didn't mean to piss on y'alls Corn Flakes- I thought this is why the OP posted it on here because of the high price for what it is. My apologies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 12:42 am:

Luke, as far as A's go, that's cheap (now at $13,000) and no apology is necessary.
But it hasn't been that long that A's have come down so far that buying an A or a T is nearly a tossup.......
I'm happy you don't have show queens....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 11:55 am:

Craig -

You might want to rethink the cars shows.
They can be fun!

I took our 1919 T Hack to a show and had a great time.
It was restored in the mid 50's and used until the mid 60's when it was put in the barn for 45 years.
You might call it "almost barn fresh" because all I did was dust it off and get it running again.
I was placed in the pre-50's division with about 30 perfect Model A's etc.
I had a sign telling folks giving its history and explained that it was an example of a real Model T -as it was in the old days- ,crank started it a few times, and let kids sit in it.
There were lots of questions and many smiles.

One guy walked up to me and said that I had the only real car at the show because the others were just ego sleds.

I was very suprised to recieve a 3rd place trophy! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:13 am:

I think it's a nice looking A--but it has one of my pet peeves--a bright plated dash panel, which SHOULD be brush finished (nickel to be correct, but butler finish would work well too). So many cars are done this way that nowadays even most model A owners have no idea that it's wrong!
Revisionist history at it's best (worst).
Back to T programing.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:04 am:

I agree with everybody on this car! It's a respectable driver which most people would think is very sharp, but to the purist eye it has a lot of bits that would stop it winning any prizes at a Model A show. David doesn't like the bright dash panel (nor I) but I really hate the black bumpers. If he couldn't find/afford a good plater, some silver paint would have been better.
AND I hate those stoneguards, invariably put on by people who'd never drive the car down a dirt road. Why do you never see a T version?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:53 am:

I am not a Model A guy but do make Model A Voltage Regulators along with T, A, V8 and N tractor models. In that ebay offering there are pictures of the motor with some sort of device mounted to the top of the generator. It is a rather large rectangular shaped thing and there is a blue pig tail coiled up wire connection from the generator post to the device. It that some sort of diode cutout? I have never seen this arrangement and wonder what the coiled up blue wire connection is all about. Do any of you Model A guys know anything about this setup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:57 am:

John,
Before I knew about "Fun Projects" I did buy a voltage regulator for my T...it was (and is 6 volts). The device worked for awhile - until I got to "fiddling" with things...then a spark and no more generation. (Generator was not damaged - purchased one of your devices and gen works fine). I still have the device someplace...and I believe the literature. I will look for it soon and let you know more.
I believe the blue pigtail wire is just the connecting wire...extra wire, and I'll be the installer could not find his wire cutters, so "made do".
I do believe this device is interchangeable between the T & A...at least the exterior is certainly a twin to what I have.
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:30 am:

The blue wire is the output wire from the generator.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration