Brass Horn Restoration

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Brass Horn Restoration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:24 pm:

Most horns have some dings and kinks, Who has had a horn restored lately with excellent results and were happy with the bill?Please share the person or company that does great work.

Thanks! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:09 pm:

Try a music store where they repair brass instruments. Usually quite reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:10 am:

Having worked in a Music store during my high school days I can tell you they probability won't work on a brass horn. They can't get there magic balls inside because horns are made in halfs and the solder joint is to rough for them to get inside. As far as I know the horn must be taken apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:05 am:

Allright, Allright. . . . You've forced my hand into giving up my secret repairer. I only wish I could get them into repairing brass cowl lamps. I just received back an absolutely gorgeous Klaxonette bell with black painted base and a $59.46 bill. Previously, Tee's Music House in Yorktown, TX (361) 564-2411 restored a pretty decent Rubes single twist for my '14 and turned it into similarly gorgeous for around $70. They still have a single twist I'll use on the '11 Hupp and I aim to send Nelson an original horn for the '10 Maxwell soon. Just for polishing only. On the 'pink slip' bill he notates the intricate processes used to keep musical instruments from tarnishing by band students. Of course, our horns don't go through much if any handling. There. . . . I've gone and done it . . .. probably caused future prices to increase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:45 am:

David:
Can you post a photo of what you need repaired (let's see the damages). Per Nicholas's comments, brass automobile horns can be taken apart at the soldered couplings, but you would never take the halves apart, and you would never separate the bell where it has been rolled in place. I've restored 2 (one double-twist, one single-twist), that both had generous dent damages. I had to design multiple profiling tools to reach the backs of the various damaged areas, and was fortunate to have been able to adequately access all of the damages (depending on location, it is possible that some damages will not be practically accessible). This work takes a load of time and patience, so expect that a qualified smith is going to charge you accordingly. If you're expecting to be able to competitively bid this work....you may be disappointed.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:23 am:

I don't know about horns, but Carl Lenard 970-663-7842 Restores other brass parts including Brass Headlights and Side Lights.

A941

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:47 am:

I've seen the ball method used on a TV show. Used on curved parts to maintain the tubes diameter after bending. Quite a bit of equipment is involved. Graduated diameter balls, forms ect. It looked like a process that major manufacturers use because of the expense. There was also mentioned a freezing process that involved filling the tube with water and freezing it to expand or push out kinks and dents. Don't think I'd try it on an antique horn though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:05 pm:

George,Thank You for sharing your source for restoration, Horns are tough and many wont touch them.If some business is sent there way you may get a discount on your next project!
Scott, I have been looking for a good double twist horn and trying to get a handle on what it will cost to restore the average dented horn , I dont want to end up with a $800 or more horn and as I said I called several Brass restorers and they said I DONT DO HORNS! I guess I will be patient and keep looking, and possibly may have something in early brass parts needed by someone that would intice a trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:32 pm:

David:
I recommend focusing your horn dollars on a better quality double twist horn that doesn't need the work. Assume the cost of a nice double twist can hover in the $400.00 to $700.00 range. A worst case scenario would be where you've bought the part, spent a bunch more bucks to have it repaired, and now this costly repaired part looks like a repair. I had an unrelated part fabricated by a local custom trumpet/trombone maker, and had asked if he would be interested in doing dent repairs to a double twist I have. He declined sighting that the cost and time would be prohibitive. I should have guessed....this guy gets 6 grand for a custom built trumpet.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:42 pm:

Britten's Brass Works in Ceresco, Michigan restored my horn. He did a nice job. It had its share of dents and dings. Looks like new now. His full-time job is brass instrument repair, but works on car horns, too.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:21 am:

Phil,
Was your horn a single or double twist, would you share what it cost? Thanks for the information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Andersen on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 01:36 pm:

So far, all of the repair/restoration shops mentioned appear to be in the eastern US. Anyone know of experienced/reliable shops in the west/west coast?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:21 pm:

David...My horn was a standard Rubes model, I think you'd call it a single-twist. Restoration cost was about $350, as I recall.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:22 pm:

David...My horn was a standard Rubes model, I think you'd call it a single-twist. Restoration cost was about $350, as I recall. Britten can give you an estimate.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:58 pm:

David
Mark Metzler is the best I've seen he just did a Rubes triple twist for me it was dinged, bent, and split along the bottom. It looks brand new now he did a Great Job ! Good work at Good prices.
http://www.metzlerbrassrepair.com/ Tell Him I sent you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:53 pm:

Thanks to all the guys who took the time to reply, It looks like there are several options but plan on spending $350- 400.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Andersen on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 03:28 pm:

Alert: Be attentive to a "Swift Clive" in England, who appears to be mimicking our friend in Dallas, TX, with the very same pitch.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration