Motometer repair question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Motometer repair question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:27 pm:

I picked up a vintage motometer that reportedly did not work. After a minute or so using the lathe trick recommended here on the forum to settle the indicating fluid, it works fine. However, the end plug of the temperature sensing probe is missing. It kind of looks like the original end plug was either soldered or swedged on.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any good ideas for closing up the end of the sensor?

2. Should there be anything inside the end of the probe, or just air? Seems like I have seen something like lead shot used is similar applications before, maybe to help with heat transfer and help to support the glass bulb??

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 05:13 am:

Jim, most I have worked on have a brass plug soldered in. Should be easy to make as it is thin. Tile grout works well to reinstall the thermometer tube. KB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration