Brass Thrust Washers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Brass Thrust Washers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Rapinz--Garrettsville, Ohio on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 12:33 pm:

I will certainly concede that it's best to get rid of the old babbitt washers in the rear end. But is there a simple way to tell what you have without tearing everything to pieces? It surely isn't a question of time, since I don't want it inscribed on my tombstone that I died because I didn't invest an extra day to be safe. What say the gurus?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 12:47 pm:

Tear it apart and replace the babbitt thrust washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Rapinz--Garrettsville, Ohio on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 12:56 pm:

I was afraid you were gonna say that... ;>)
It'll just add to the list. Here it's getting cold and snowy and no heat in the shop so the wonderful days of "T-therapy" are over for awhile. But I'm sure you're right Glen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W. Oder on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 01:10 pm:

Bronze, please. Brass is a poor bearing material.

J.O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

If you stick your finger in the inspection hole and it comes out with oil like this on it, you know for sure. If not, you have to open it up to find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Rapinz--Garrettsville, Ohio on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 03:05 pm:

Thankyou Steve... And John... Of course Bronze. Dopey of me to say brass. I do know better.
Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration