Out of round demountable rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Out of round demountable rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Clark on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 04:33 pm:

I recently mounted 4 new shoes for Lizzie. The first 2 went on without a hitch, but when I went to mount the third, the 4 bolt holes didn't line up. 21" demountables.

I had picked up 4 replacement rims since 2 of mine were non-demountable previously, so I can't say for sure if they were round before I started or not.

Are these "spring" steel or should I be able to use the rim tool and "crunch" them back into round?

Any tips or tricks to mounting/demounting without doing damage to the roundness of the rims?
I would like to mount the other 2 so that the rims/tries match.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Clark on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:55 am:

Nobody can provide me with any insight here?

"Are these "spring" steel or should I be able to use the rim tool and "crunch" them back into round?

Any tips or tricks to mounting/demounting without doing damage to the roundness of the rims? "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 12:34 pm:

They are not spring steel. I have not messed with them but you should be able to caress them back to a usable shape. I think you will have to demount the tires then you can attack them with a rim tool, jack, wood block, c clamps and sledge hammer. You could probably make good use of a hydraulic press and some wood blocks to caress the "narrow" side into a larger radius and vice versa.

If they are not too far out, you might just a small pry bar to line up the lug bolts on the wheel.

Long story short, with ingenuity, determination, and persistence, and some fiddling you should be able to make them usable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 01:00 pm:

Brian,

Whatever they're made of, it was possible to warp them out of shape. Therefore, it's equally possible to bend them back. My dad was a master at it. Sadly, he, along with a lifetime's knowledge, is now gone. He used all of the tools Ted lists above, plus his usual huge amount of patience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 01:27 pm:

Brian Clark:

It does not say where you live. I have a lot of 30 x 3 1/2 demountable rims that are still round. I DO NOT SHIP rims but if you are ever in Colorado or know someone coming to Colorado you could look them over.

The picture below is just a few of the rims that I have.

A931

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Clark-Hamilton, OH on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 06:03 pm:

Thanks for the offer Dave. I'm in Hamilton, Ohio. Basically, Cincinnati. The T is in storage for the winter. I'll try to grab the 2 spare rims and bring them home to see if I can "straighten" them.
I am using the 21" demountables now.
I do have 2 30" non-demountables that I no longer need though. 1 needs re-spoked.

Patience is one thing I lack!
Probably how the rim got out of round in the first place. The wife was helping me and it seemed like the first one went together really easy, then each one got progressively more difficult.
Of course, I have no idea which ones are which now..... :-)

These were my first attempt at mounting tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 07:03 pm:

Brian Clark:

To bad you don't live closer. I sell new tires, tubes and flaps. I offer free mounting to anyone buying any of them. I could have thrown you rims on my Steven Tire fixture and had them mounted in no time. I have never to my knowledge ever made a rim out of round with the Stevens Fixture.

A410f

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Clark-Hamilton, OH on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 12:11 pm:

Well, it's always possible that it was out of round prior to my mounting the tires, but I would tend to blame it on my inexperience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 06:38 pm:

Brian,

With T stuff you just never know, just move on to the next item on the agenda :-)

Did you use a whirlamagig? The trick to them is just enough to get the tire unseated and no more, give yourself that extra little bit and they always go eggy. I've never found the right amount....lol...take a crank, try and unseat take another, try again....thats how that goes. Same thing on getting them back and seated...just enought to get the button or latch to line up and then rap it with a dead mallet to seat it.

Depending on how eggy you made it, let me guess...the 2 bolts that made up were side by side? Others will say Noooooooo...but here is how I salvaged my first set of oversprung with the whirlamagig :-)

Took the fat side and mounted the top bolt at 12 o'clock only finger tight and then lowered the MECHANICAL screw jack until the 6 0'clock lined up good, bolted it tight...went back to 12 o'clock and bolted it tight...amazing, the other two now managed to line up all by themselves :-):-) Since then I ONLY use the whirlamagig to only take the tesnion off and then go at it with irons...still alot easier than those clinchers on the 15 :-) and it took me maybe 15 years to finally make a set of custom 'knitting' spoons to get that one from an hour a tire to 15 minutes :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Clark-Hamilton, OH on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 06:54 pm:

Great idea George.
Thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration