Restoration of a Real Australian Morton & Brett R Fronty Ford Part 1

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Restoration of a Real Australian Morton & Brett R Fronty Ford Part 1
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:01 am:

I started work on my R Fronty back in 1999 after finding the original Frame at Coonabrabran NSW. I will attempt to go though the restoration bit by bit and start another thread on the history of the car.

Here are some pictures of the car parts I started with, all the reamins of the same car except for Steering, and transmission cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:07 am:

Sweet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:13 am:

I Stared off straightning the frame and replacing some of the rivets. The frame has the original Fronty front lowering bracket from the car, found in South Austrialia the Zeded rear of the Frame is original and the original body lined up with the original frame extensions on the rear cross member and bolt holes in the body. Note the inch x inch a 1/8 inch angle iron brackets across the frame and the holes for the gas tanks either side of the frame. The same holes lined up exactly correctly with the angle iron base in the body. Bolt holes ended up in the middle of the angle iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:17 am:

Nothing like using anything available to help make the job easier.

Note the original second rear cross member to move the engine back 8 inches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:26 am:

Some pictures of forming the angle iron frame of the body. Unfortunatel the base of the Morton & Brett Indinapolis 1 1/2 seat racer body had been cut off.

Stripping down and hand filing 5 yards of 1 and a 1/4 inch flat bar to 1.125 inch by hand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:31 am:

The former used to average out the sides of the body and shape the bottom angle iron for the Body frame

The bottom of the body frame all hot riveted together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:36 am:

Making the body skirts from original photos of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:41 am:

Had two attempts at getting the base of the skirts the correct angle to the front. Unfortunately I only had the 1954 photos of the car at first then the 1927 -29 photos became available.

A very tight fit to the radiator sides

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:46 am:

Beautiful job Mark, that is going to be a sweet car. One question though, don't you have a hand grinder? That would be much faster to dress down the 1&1/4" stock to 1&1/8". Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:36 am:

No super thin cut off wheels back then David. used a Band saw and grinder and file finished. all the angle iron rrame is all hand bent with no joins other than to original body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:39 am:

Making the hood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:49 am:

Making Hood side panels and fitting trim plates around exhaust holes

above is folding in anealed aluminium Plate into die to form exhaust trim plates

above is sizing trim plates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:57 am:

fitting trim plates to Hood side panel

Side panels and original letters fixed to hood

Trim plates fitted to Hood side panels

Fred....... Note the front axle. I know how hard they were to make. Done this one back in 2000. Took 2 people and 2 oxy sets and 4 hrs to bend it between 2 pipes and and 2 hrs to align the ends

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:09 am:

Some time in the future the two threads will probably be further apart. The history of Mark’s Morton & Brett R Fronty is also posted at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/250350.html?1322740599

Mark,

Great job of tracking down so many of the scattered parts of the original car. Also thank you so much for sharing the history of the car in the previous thread. Clearly a labor of love – thank you for gathering up the bits of the story and bits of the car and putting it back together for us and future old car folks to enjoy. It is very fortunate that so much of the care survived and could be traced back to the original car. Also thank you for sharing so many of the “how to” photos where you used “this or that” process to form the hood or the exhaust port covers etc. Great job! I know the final car will be a tribute to early Australian racing as well as to your own skills and persistence. It will also be a wonderful invitation to join the old car hobby to anyone who read the story or sees your Morton & Brett R Fronty.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 08:19 pm:

Mark,
Just amazing to have all the history for this car. It really a had to help in putting this M&B back on the path to running down the road just like it was 8o-85 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:38 am:

I have resurrected several speedsters and race cars from the remains of originals. BUT NEVER one with any such history or so many pieces of one car coming back together from so many places to be truly restored. You are to be congratulated!
I am British Racing Green with envy! (I hope that is not offensive to my friends down under.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Herdman on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 04:58 am:

Thanks to all for your encouagement. I have almost finished this car. I urge everone to have a go. All this work so far i have done myself and much of it in areas where i have never had any experience. Even if you do a 1/2 an hour a days work every few days you will get enjoyment out of fitting each part. Sometimes there are faiures like the 3 attempts at making the bracket for the Franklin Steering box. have you ever tried to put a 3/8 inch side ofset in a 4 inch x 1/2 steel plate without cutting it! Very difficult to do. That is parallel on one side of the plate and 3/8 inch ofset at the other side of the plate. This gives the correct angle sideways for the steering colum.

Anyway part 2 of the restoration is comming. Hap, please add the link.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 06:56 am:

The link to the next thread “Restoration of a Real Australian Morton & Brett R Fronty Ford Part 2” is:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/250543.html?1322825304

Mark -- again great job of finding the missing pieces and preserving an original piece of Australian Racing History. It is also very encouraging to all of us that our projects can be moved along also. As you said a small amount of time several times a week adds up to progress.

Again thank you so much for sharing your story as well as your methods.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration