Rough running on mag

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Rough running on mag
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Granger on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:06 am:

Hi Guys
Still new to T troubles.
I am sure that this issue has been posted before but here goes. 1924 T. Runs first class on battery.but when I turn to Mag on the key miss fires all over the place. Are we looking at flywheel here?
Many thanks
Keith Granger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:08 am:

Most likely coil problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:11 am:

Keith
That is the classic symptom of improperly adjusted coils. Give me a call I have some properly adjusted loaner coils you can borrow to help trouble shoot.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Granger on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:30 am:

Hi Thanks for the replies .
Unfortunately cannot take up your offer Ron as I live in England but I do know a good guy here who can sort them for me.Really love driving my red 4 seat tourer.So much lighter than my tt truck.
Keith Granger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:56 am:

Easiest way to find the cause. First, find someone who's car runs good on mag. Ask to borrow the coils. Try them in your car. If it runs good on mag, then you have a coil problem. If it still runs poorly on mag, test the strength of the magneto. Research keyword search for magneto and find out how to test with an analog AC voltmeter and a lightbulb. If the mag tests low, pull out the mag plug and check for lint. Clean up lint from plug, and test again. If it still tests low, you need to recharge the magnets. Look up key word on recharging the magnets in the car. Charge them and test magneto again. Sometimes the recharging will work if the magneto ring is not damaged. If it is damaged, you will need to pull the engine to fix. If the problem is in the coils you will need to rebuild or readjust them. Get the book from the club, "electrical system" It gives you instructions on how to rebuild the coils, and the magneto. You should also find out if someone in your area has a hand cranked coil tester to test the coils after they are rebuilt. You can be sure they are adjusted correctly with such a device.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

Keith ; Take some day's off with Christmas and come to Holland. I can test your coils on a HCCT .Where in England do you live ? It is not on your profile!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:49 pm:

It might be a dirty timer causing the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Granger on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:18 pm:

Thanks for all your suggestions.From Herefordshire England.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:53 pm:

Ted:

If coils were good and so was the battery and magneto then the car would actually likely run worse on battery than on magneto if the timer were bad. Since it runs OK on Battery and that requires a decent timer to do it - I think it unlikely that the problem is in the timer in this case.

There are some fellows in England that have Strobo-Spark machines and they also could help set up coils correctly. You do need either an HCCT or a strobo-spark to set them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:03 pm:

Nobody mentioned the key switch. I would check the other things above first, but it is in the circuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Utphall on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:28 pm:

just a little thing- dbl check your mag post mounting- mine loosened up and ran really rough of course-

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration