Way O/T but I learned something today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Way O/T but I learned something today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 12:57 pm:

When you see a good deal don't hesitate!

My wife's 20 + year old gas range has been acting up a bit lately.
She made it work thru Thanksgiving with the help of our "extra one" in the basement.

I felt sorry for her (also didn't want to take a chance we would be without hot meals) so I began a search for the perfect replacement.
After a bit of research I found a $1600+ dual-oven, 5 burner range with convection capability at Home Depot on-line for $1200 and there was free shipping.

WHAT A DEAL!!
We talked about it and after a few days decided that this was the one---

When I went online today I learned that it was still on sale but now it was $1529 with free shipping.
Being a cheap guy I called them and asked if they would honor the previous price and was told that their special price was now $1529.

I Snooze I Loose :-(

My wife was expecting a new oven, it is $329 more that I want to spend, and I have to make sure I have hot food.

The next discussion with my wife was interesting.
It was apparent she was seriously disapointed, but understanding.
Still wanting to ensure that hot food stayed on the menu I began an intensive web search.

The best I could find was an online source for the same oven at $1244-including shipping, so I'm only out $44.00. :-)

Whew - Now I hope the old oven keeps working until the new one arrives.

I'm thinking I can claim that I saved $285 and get some T parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:08 pm:

Does the old one work well enough for drying parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:19 pm:

LOL I sneek them into the basement oven - but don't tell. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tman on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:34 pm:

If that range is the ( Maytag Gemini 30 in. Self-Cleaning Freestanding Double Oven Gas Convection Range in Stainless Steel ) I went to there site and looked it up. Run and cancel it!!!! I bought that same range for my wife 4 years ago and it does not keep temp. they have tried to repair it 37 times and changed all the controls over and over it is the worst range I have ever owned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:37 pm:

This problem has two edges. If you adopt the "I snooze, I loose" theory and grab things quickly, how do you know that you're not paying the $1,529 price and if you waited a few days you could have purchased it for $1,200? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Clark on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:11 pm:

I too would be interested in which model you chose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:40 pm:

When I asked at Lowes why most of their ranges were electric, I got the reply that electric does a better job of holding temperature.

I tore out the gas oven/broiler a few years ago in remodel process, and bought a combo micro/convection oven, which does it all. It holds a 12 lb turkey. Wife still wants a big oven for some reason, but can't justify it. We also have a regular nuke.

rdr
Downieville for tonite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:28 pm:

20 year old oven acting up.

It might just need a minor repair or part that you can replace yourself.

YouTube has great videos on trouble shooting common problems and repairing appliances. If I need to fix something, it's the first place I go.

Do you have an appliance parts dealer in your area? If not, if you know what the problem is you can buy the part online.

You can also find parts lists and diagrams via Google by simply typing in the brand and model number of the appliance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:53 pm:

http://www.repairclinic.com/

I use this place for information and buy my parts from the local appliance store. The prices are actually very close. He even gives advice since I don't think he likes working on any of them anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 01:02 am:

There isn't a whole lot to an older electric range. Usually replaceing a burner is all that is needed.

When our older oven quit, my wife insisted on getting a new electric stainless one, with a flat ceramic top, convection, the works. I cooked at 25 lbs turkey in it last year, so it has some size to it. But one thing I can say for sure is that they don't make them like they used to. The new one takes twice as long as the old one to pre-heat, and even looking under it, it looks like it has half of the metal in it as the old one did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 06:13 am:

The top of our 2000 model Maytag rusted out to where it had a big hole after 10 years. Had it repaired and powder coated at some cost, and almost immedicately after that found another brand with a dent in the top for $75 at Lowes. I'm sorry I changed, I learned after sending the old one to Salv Army. The new one is a POS, and now it's leaking and thumping.

Keep your old appliances alive as long as possible. They sure don't make 'em like they used to. Don't get me started on coffee makers and toilet seats.

rdr
Downieville for a day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 12:32 pm:

The old oven (magic chef) has a sprung door that requires we partially engage the cleaning cycle lock during normal baking, a bad broiler ingiter (I have to replace ignitors about every two years -get them online), two hard to light surface burners, and it is beginning to burn things on one side of the oven.
I looked into replacing the door hinges and burners but they cost almost as much as a new oven.

Yes it is a Maytag Stainless steel Gemini combo convection gas oven. Model # MGT8775XS -
The reviews said that it was a good one and a friend loves her's.
My wife insists that gas is best, but maybe a combo electric oven - gas burner is the way to go.

I'm sorry Tman is having so much trouble and hope it dosen't happen to us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 01:37 pm:

Greg,
What we have for doing the Turkey is an electric roaster. We got it from the wife's mother who probably bought it in the 60's. I did a 20# turkey in it this year. What I really like about it is it frees up the oven for other thing like pies! :-)

Fred, Good luck with the new range! Last year I bought th wife a new JennAire downdraft. It was a replacement for our 30+ year old JennAire. You'd think it would be a direct replacement...OH NO!
It was deeper! It went in an island and had to bump the back of the cabinet out! Of course all this was discovered while putting it in......
Hope all goes well with your install!
Floyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:16 pm:

our microwave lasted about 20 years and still worked when we tossed it but we used it so much that the wheels on the turn table had worn through the metal bottom and were getting stuck in the holes. I don't want to glow in the dark so we bought a new one last year. My mom still uses her first microwave bought in 1977.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:43 pm:

I'm still learning ---

The Maytag Oven that started this mess is now backordered until Jan 3rd so I have an option of getting a Frigidare oven instead.

It is the same size and just $24 more.
I confirmed that it is now a rebranded Maytag.

Since some of you had a poor experience with the Maytag what do you think of a Frigidare dual oven range gas with convection and 5 top burners?
It is model #FGGF304DLF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:40 pm:

Ever consider an LG?
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=opera&hs=SxC&rls=en&channel= suggest&q=dual+oven+range+gas&gs_upl=7312l7312l0l7670l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=o n.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1742&bih=835&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=52427364577 49164452&sa=X&ei=oILhTriVC4fc0QHJqcDhBQ&ved=0CIoBEPMCMAU

For over 30 years came all our major appliances were purchase at Sears.......either Whirlpool or Kenmore so........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:52 pm:

I need a thermostat for a 50's Ge fridge.Cheapest I found was 90 bucks.SHeesh.
Old appliances work so much better than new and why they quit makeing the purty colors from the 70's danged if I know.We had harvest gold in the house and now thanks to power surges and lightning,we only have a sink that color.
I hunted the world over for either a Avacodo green fridge or a 50's ge fridge for my shop and found neither.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:35 pm:

I found my gas range along the road (ok in front of a house on the sidewalk) over 10 years ago. Replaced the igniter for the oven and the knobs. Still working good, knock on wood!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:12 am:

Like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:45 am:

Craig,
LG is on my DO NOT BUY list as a result of three of their dehumidifiers failing within 2 1/2 years. Perhaps the gas stoves are better, but the "refrigerant" leaked out of the dehumidifiers. Cost almost as much to repair as to buy new. Company replaced one because it failed in the first season - when it too, failed company refused to fix or pay as "the guarantee was honored" by replacing the original purchase.
It is difficult, but I go out of my way to AVOID LG.
I have a VERY old Kenmore....still works after 12-14 years!
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock Newfields NH on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:41 am:

Mark -- We have one of those sidewalk finds in the basement as an extra oven.

It has almost no electronics and consistently works better than the modern oven in the kitchen. Even the clock is non digital.
The only drawback is that it has pilots that stay lit. (We shut them off because the oven is used only a few times a year.)

Jeeze - this conversation is beginning to sound like a Model T vs a modern vehicle. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:55 am:

Unfortunately, there is a new era in all of these consumer 'appliances' and we are not being taught to be 'informed consumers'. I find it appalling that something like Consumer Reports can show one brand as 5 stars and another brand at 2 stars when surely Consumers also knows the 'new order world' of MOST appliances!

In those 'good old days' each company had their own design, each company had their own manufacturing facilities, each company had their own trade secrets and white haired knowledge, and each company tried to market the differences as 'value added' for their product. As consumers we rolled the dice based on what we heard and felt, might want to go budget or might want to go deluxe, and some would buy from 're-branders' such as Sears because for the longest while most of Sears product was really Amanna with a re-badge and it was easier to deal with Sears post-purchase with Sears own service branch.

Today for the most part on appliances and other consumer devices there is but one master design that they apparently take turns doing and they license one another for 'the basics' which are then built on the same assembly lines, and the final 'brander' gets to pick a unique fascia design and electronic control panel for. Not surprised that when Fred turned down the covers he found the two brands being near one and the same.

In a grouchy moment a year or so ago after I found my front load washer and dryer was a 'commodity' with but a different front panel and I of course had now overpaid the rest of the field by some 300 bucks for the set due to 'brand identity' I contacted CR about this star rating system and their answer was 'we only accumulate the data based on user feedback!'

Sort of reminded me of the old Toyota game where the Camry and the Lexus ES are one in the same car mechanically, different fascia...and the Honda EX Accord and the Acura are the same car sans fascia differences. You pay 25-30% more for the 'up' brand with its stickers and cosmetic differences, but hey...Lexus ES and Acura owners always seem to give 5 stars for everything :-) where those 'under' brands take the bullet and might only get 3-4+ stars and are called 'value' offerings still having excellent value/price point for consumers. It somehow frosts me that we let them treat us so stupid...but then, I AM now at that 'grouchy old man' point in my life :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:09 am:

George -

From one grouchy old man to another, thanks for articulating what is so true and so frustrating!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:11 pm:

George - Not to drift too far off of the subject, but another frustrating thing that is somewhat related is the fact that many old and trusted brand names simply cannot be trusted anymore. Just off of the top of my head, GE, Westinghouse, Sunbeam, Hoover, Fridgidaire, Black & Decker, RCA, Magnavox, etc, etc. (From another grouchy old man,....harold)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:30 pm:

Harold, there ya' go! They are NOT different brands anymore...luck of the draw on whose selection of the 'electronic control panel' gets the hardier or the flakier electronics panel...and no one knows until millions are sold :-(

Something to be learned as America refinds itself in manufacturing and actually does go back to a bit of Fordism...

As an industrialist myself, I know the difference between commodity R&D and Unique Selling Point R&D is generally only on the order of 3% difference of the cost basis. In most industries today you can pick up a cross license for on the order of 3-4% of sales or even find someone generous enough to offer 2%!
Hey these modern MBA's figure...why then have more than the most basic of engineering staff myself? No risk and 'marketing and price point' can generate the volume needed to make a business plan.

On the other side, for the guy that still hangs in there with the 6% R&D costs,then if you build enough...unique tools and fixtures and self manufacture don't add one dime premium to the product and you might even be able to have a lesser cost basis if the workers are creative enough.

What goes around, comes around...tell your grandkids to be ready :-):-):-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration