OT, but well worth watching: World's Tiniest V-12 Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT, but well worth watching: World's Tiniest V-12 Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:22 pm:

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:40 pm:

WOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:11 pm:

Here are some more...some actually run. Belong to a local club.

http://www.baemclub.com/pages/photos2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:50 pm:

Don l second your WOW !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 04:18 pm:

That is truly amazing! I scratch-build models, but nothing even close to that detail. Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:31 pm:

I have seen a film of an Italian fellow who built an entire Ferrari car complete with a running boxer flat 12 engine that drives the rear wheels through a five speed tranmission and all the lights and instruments work, but I don't know if it has a c.d. player in it.

I have attached a picture of the world's smallest one cylinder gas engine that actually runs

1 cyl engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 08:37 pm:

How can the cam work going the same speed as the crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:38 pm:

Didn't someone build a mineauture running model T out of brass?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 12:27 am:

That stuff is way above my pay grade! With my kind of luck, I'd drop one of those teeny weeny rod caps on the floor and the ol lady would suck it up in the vacuum cleaner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 12:29 am:

The cam can turn at crankshaft speed because the V-12 runs on compressed air : essentially , it`s a V-12 2-cycle steam engine running on air pressure .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:12 am:

John,

The link you posted is very interesting! I have most of the parts to build a Morton 5 cylinder radial like pictured on your site.

My grandfather had a complete Morton engine before I came around, I inherited his remaining Morton parts collection and just haven't had the time to sit down at the lathe and make the few remaining parts to have a complete motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:24 pm:

Truely amazing, but I've looked at it twice now and can't find the spark plugs !!

If no plugs, must be diesel but wheres distribution pump?

Somebody help. I really want to know !

Cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:42 pm:

Bud,

As Doug said, it runs on air pressure. The intake valve opens to allow the pressurized air to drive the piston down and the exhaust valve opens when the piston travels up to expel the air. The intake valve opens again for the next downward movement of the piston to repeat the cycle. The white silicone rubber tube going to the intake filter on the top of the engine supplies the air pressure from underneath the stand.

Not an internal combustion engine but an air driven motor. No plugs, no fuel, no combustion.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 08:13 pm:

Neil

Thanks

schuh

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration