Pan bolt torque

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Pan bolt torque
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Lawson Texas on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 08:59 am:

Can somebody tell me the correct torque of the pan bolts? I am chasing a oil leak and do not want to overtighten and break the bolts. Thanks, Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:15 am:

Ford did not have a recommended torque back in the day for different sized bolts like there are now but, even so, you should ignore it becauase of the unique circumstances of the particular use of these bolts and be very careful to not tighten them too much (just snug).

As you mentioned, it is very easy to overtighten these bolts and distort the pan by crimping the pan into the soft gasket between the block and pan. It is better to make sure your pan is straight and true using a pan jig, then relying on a good oil proof gasket sealer, such as the "Right Stuff" or "Ultra Black" to seal both sides of the gasket, then tighten moderately, allowing the gasket sealer to do the job of sealing ( put enough on to allow it to squeeze out a bit). If you overtighten the bolts and distort the pan and gasket, you can wind up with more leaks than had you not tightened the bolts at all. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Lawson Texas on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:19 am:

Thanks, Jim. I had the pan off several years ago and sealed it then. I guess I will pull the pan and reseal. Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration