Dodge Brothers versus Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Dodge Brothers versus Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:16 pm:

(Not the law suit). How big is a Ď20 Dodge compared to a Model T? I have a gut instinct that itís larger, like Ď32 Ford size, but Iím not certain.

Thanks,

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 04:08 pm:

It is a more substantial car that is harder to find parts for and less valuable restored than the average Model T of the same year.

Great cars, very well made and very reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 04:29 pm:

My grandparents owned six cars in their lives - a 1915 Dodge, a 1928 Dodge, a 1936 Dodge, a 1941 Dodge, a 1950 Dodge and a 1956 Chrysler. Brand loyalty, ya think? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David J. Holland on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 05:27 pm:

The first 7 or 8 years were 4 cyl, metal bodied, had a combination starter/generator and a backward H shift pattern. The shifting between gears performance was lazy double clutching but it rolled along after getting up to speed. 32X4 Firestone tires cost $45 each when I restored a 1919 in the 60s. It was a step up from the Model T in ride but still a squeeze for five adults. I still have a Clum ignition key and bits and pieces left from the car, nothing worth while except as a rememberence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 05:43 pm:

Well, I have both a '16 T touring and a '16 DB touring. I think there's enough metal in the DB to make two Ts--but not enough wood! :-)
I can't compare them yet, as they are both um, well, not finished! Some might call them basket cases even. And YES parts are a lot harder to find and considered more precious than T parts. RATS!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David J. Holland on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 05:47 pm:

1919 Dodge Bros. restored1919 DB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 07:44 pm:

A fellow out this way that shows up at some of the local shows has a restored '21 Dodge Touring. Pretty much as Dave H's and has basically what he describes. The car seems more substansial that the T. Heavier looking spokes, thicker padding on the seats and looks bigger overall. Don't know what the price new was but since everything cost more that a T I assume it was higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 07:46 pm:

David:
there is no real way to compare the 2 vehicals ...i have owned several 4 cyl. Dodge Brothers(still own 2)and have owned 3 model T's ...the Dodge Bro. was a larger,more powerful,all steel automobile that sold for approx. the price of a small Buick ...it easily compered with buick in all aspects of quality and durability ...you didn't have to state that a Dodge Bro. was a good car for the money ...it was simply a good car at any price ...it is true however that a model T of comparable condition will sell for much more than a Dodge Bro. ...for my money i will still choose the DB ...just my opinion ...Merry Christmas gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 08:05 pm:

1920 Dodge Brothers touring: $1085
1920 Ford touring: $675

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 08:27 pm:

David
I've been around a lot of both T's and Dodges if you compair body style to body style of the same year, example: 1915 Dodge Touring vs 1915 T Touring the T body will sit inside the Dodge body and you might have a 2-3 inch area to put your hand between the bodies all the way around.
We have a 1928 Dodge Victory 6, it's a 4 door sedan again a 1928 Model A would fit snuggly inside the Dodge. But as far as a huge size differance (NO) if it's storage space your looking at T vs Dodge if the Dodge is cheap take the Dodge I think the day of the Dodge is yet to come I echo what Royce said "right now" the T is worth more and the parts are high just checked on a rebuilt carb for ours $1700 but it seems that anything Mopar is a special group of collectors and you need to go to that venue to get out of them what they are worth. But pound for pound and dollar for dollar, you get more car with the Dodge. And just think even if we decide to junk our Dodge it will bring more money for scrap than the T.... LoL !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:35 pm:

The 1928 Dodge Victory Six had factory hydraulic brakes, automatic spark advance, a six cylinder 7 main bearing engine, oil filter, etc. It was much more advanced than a Ford for the same time period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:45 pm:

I have a friend that has a 21 Foor Door that he has had since about 1960. It hasn't seen the light of day since 1985 or so. I took him for a ride in my T since he had been asking. I have been trying to get him to let me help get it running and give it a bath. Now, he is talking about selling it. For the last 25 years or so, he has the plugs laying on the head and squirts oil in the cylinders and turns it over a few turns each day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:46 am:

Dan Woolf... Good points brought out on the Victory 6, your correct....

Doug your buddy has a nice car he'll regret selling it no doubt, if and when he does. I love the wire wheels ! Our Dodge still has the wood spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:57 am:

I drive a 1916 Dodge Brothers. It is a wonderful tour car. It is indeed much more car than a model T, but then that was the whole idea. It was never intended to compete with the T, no one could do that given Henry's resources and manufacturing process. When the Dodges left Ford to launch their own car, I heard that one of them said "Sooner or later these Ford drivers are going to want a real car".
If you have a chance at one of these great cars at the right price by all means check it out. They can be had sometimes for less than model T money.
Fordially, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:28 am:

Here is our 1922 Ford Speedster and a Dodge Roadster of unknown teen years. Both have style. Quite a few Dodges were fitted with wire wheels. Dodges had their headlights mounted very high above the fenders.

Number 22 on tour email.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:44 am:

What is the opinion of you that have had experience with both ...The early Dodge compared to the Buick as to dependability and repairs, both good cars and a step up from the Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 12:30 pm:

The Buick is a little faster on acceleration than the Dodge but both are good at top speed. I have posted a picture below, of us in a 1917 Dodge at speed going around the corner. Our little 1912 Buick Roadster can do 35 miles an hour in second gear. It's picture is on the very bottom of this post.

The Dodge is a flat head and all Buick's have been overhead valve since the beginning. Dodge only built one size of engine and Buick built several different sizes of fours as well as sixes, So when you compare you have to know which Buick you are talking about. Below is a picture of a large Buick four cylinder overhead valve engine.

Taking Cook's Corner at high speed on a 1917 Dodge

dodge

This is a 1914 big Buick engine of about 40 actual horsepower. The small four cylinder Buicks had 25.6 alam horsepower. Buick made three four cylinder engines 3 3/4 x 3 3/4 - 4 x 4 and a 4 1/2 x 5, So you can't compare all of them to a single Dodge.

Buick

We bought this little Buick in 1958 for $500. Times sure have changed !

12 Buick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:02 pm:

IMO, Dodges lack the styling of either the T or the Buick. They're no nonsense good cars.

rdr
Topaz Lake, NV, tonight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Bullock, York WA, Australia on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:01 am:

I have a 1923 Dodge pickup and a 1923 T tourer and love 'em both. Dodge weighs 1400 kgs T 820 kgs. Easier to drive the Dodge but more fun to drive the T model. I couldn't pick a favorite.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration