TIMING ROD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: TIMING ROD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KIRK on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 06:57 pm:

Im trying to make a timing rod.The one that goes between the steering column and timer. I just dont know where the timer should be placed for TDC any ideas?..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 07:14 pm:

Jim I believe the correct setting is with your spark lever all the way up the #1 plug should fire at 15 degrees past TDC. This may be different depending which timer you are using and if you hand crank or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 07:40 pm:

1. Remove #1spark plug.

2. Spark lever way up.

3. Turn engine with crank to 15 degrees past TDC on compression stroke. (I use a piece of coat hanger wire to feel the piston come up.)

4. Set the timer so that #1 coil buzzes.

5. Bend the timing rod to fit...Firing order is 1.2.4.3.

I guess at 15 degrees. It's just after the piston (your wire) starts down.

I hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KIRK on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 07:50 pm:

That helps a bunch I will get right on that in the morning...Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:53 pm:

Jim:

Just to clarify. That correct setting of 15 Degrees after TDC is the correct place for the timer to fire and it does not matter which timer you are using nor whether you eventually will hand crank this thing or if you have an electric starter. The setting of 15 Degrees ATDC is with the timer lever all the way up to full retard position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:26 am:

To determine the compression stroke I loosen #1 plug till only one or two threads are still holding it in. Then I squirt a little WD-40 (or any oil) around the base of the plug. Turn the engine slowly with the crank until the oil bubbles and then you will know you are on the compression stroke. It's a bit difficult to hold your thumb over the hole and turn the crank at the same time.

note: Make sure your ignition switch is OFF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy - Cork, IRELAND on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 03:23 am:

I set my spark lever as outlined here at 15 degrees post TDC. When starting I pull down the lever a few notches, crank, and once running, I pull the lever down some more notches. I am interested in numbers...ideally, how many degrees post TDC should the lever be set, (a) when cranking and (b) when running normally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:16 am:

William, starting on battery lever all the way up at 15ATDC. Starting on Mag about 4-5 notches down. When running, adjust to sweet spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KIRK on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 05:43 pm:

I think that I got it pretty close with the rod. Finally got it running, now I have to free up the clutch. Sure has alot oil and gas leaks, will get to that later...Thanks again

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration