Take the car to work day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Take the car to work day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 08:16 pm:

The weatherman was predicting clear skies today in the Puget Sound, so I decided to take the car to work today. It was 32 degrees and dark when I left the house at 6:40 am. I feel really blessed to have a closed car with a manifold heater. I tell you - the good Lord knew what kind of car I should have. The car ran like a champ, down and back up the hill into the Puyallup valley. I enjoy teaching the kids, but driving the Model T was the best part of the day :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Myers on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 08:18 pm:

Good on ya, Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:27 pm:

Nice work Jim! A closed car in the PNW is great for year round follies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:39 pm:

My wife would love for me to get a manifold heater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:41 pm:

Jim - Sorry I missed you today; I had a manifold heater on my first car back in the late '50's. A '28 Model A Ford coupe and I remember that the manifold heater (Otwell) worked pretty good. I used to drive MY Ford to school too, only I was a "student", not a teacher! Now that I think about it, I didn't drive the Model A to school very often because I lived close enough to school to walk. However, I do remember something pretty silly now that I think about it. On a cold winter morning, I used to warm the car up for a little while before I drove the 6 blocks or so to school and drive around the school a couple times, partly to enjoy the benefit of the manifold heater, and partly because it was just an excuse to drive my car around the school area and be "cool"! (No pun intended)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:26 pm:

Same here in Portland Or. Took my Nellybell into the shop today, only about 5 miles each way. Came home in the dark. Glad I have all those bad accessories, you know brake lights, turn signals! :-)I had to light a match to see if the head lights were working! Time to check the grounds and polish the reflectors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:54 pm:

Man, who gets up and away that early. Even my kids aren't out of bed yet and they are in high school. Bus comes at 7:20. I get up after they leave.

I don't even think there is enuf light here in Wisconsin that early to see my car, much less get it started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 11:11 pm:

I'm with ya there Mark. I've got the bad accessories too - brake lights, turn signals, Rocky brakes - I view them more as safety items. I feel that it gives me more freedom to drive in today's traffic.

Dave: My school starts at 7:40; I start jazz band at the ugly hour of 6:45. Today was a non-jazz band day, though. It generally takes me a half hour to make the 12 mile jaunt to work.

Harold - sorry I missed ya, too; then again, it was short notice on my part. We'll have to hook up before Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:35 am:

dI would love to drive my Sizzy to work, but never feel like I should due to it being out in a big lot for 13 hours where anything could happen. I fear things would go missing. Sure like taking her on trips to the store, etc on my days off though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:36 am:

I would love to drive my Lizzy to work, but never feel like I should due to it being out in a big lot for 13 hours where anything could happen. I fear things would go missing. Sure like taking her on trips to the store, etc on my days off though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:37 am:

Oooops, my mouse is getting worn out, misbehaving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:51 am:

I've done it several times. The morning traffic around Copenhagen is sufficient tight so that the speed on the highway is not an issue. Even a 1922 Model T can follow the modern cars :-)
Actually - this was what started my project to get pictures of the entry to every IBM sites in (western) Europe with one of my cars.
Here it is caugth en route at the Ring III Highway by another colleague passing by:

and here it is in front of the danish IBM HQ:

and here in front of the downtown Copenhagen office:

(I have some times made arrangement with the guard/receptionists that they reserve a parking spot for me just next to the extrance where they can keep an eye on it.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Lawson Texas on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:55 am:

I drive my coupe to work about once a month. I take back roads and always pull over to let traffic go by. About 40 miles round trip. Fellow employees love it. Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:33 am:

Michael Deichmann:

That is one of the neatest looking Ts that there is!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:50 am:

I may just ask the security dept what they think. I still don't know how I would feel about her being out there. I have driven her in for meetings but even then I am happy to see the motometer and bud vase are still present. Security can't be everywhere.

Michael, very cool. Always love to see action photos of Ts driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:18 am:

Jim K & Harold S
When I purchested the 21 T for my Snowmobile pruject the licence plate was 63 with a 67 tab. and in the front wind shield was a Woodro Wilson High School parking pass # 952. This was a student shop project of that time in Tacoma Wa.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 01:19 pm:

Erich:

I know what you mean. There are certain stores that I take the Model T to and other ones I avoid, just due to the clientele that shops there.

We have cameras all around my school, including the parking lot where I park. My classroom is right next to the lot, so I can keep an eye on it throughout the day. It's pretty secluded, as the lot is small and fenced off; still, kids do walk through the lot on their way home. What I've noticed is kids taking pictures of it with their cell phones.

Michael: That's one of the most interesting T's I've seen. Is that a custom body style?

Bob: That's pretty neat. Mike Conrad, another local that's my age, used to drive his Model T to school every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:59 pm:

Hello Jim K. and Bob M. - As long as you brought up Mike Conrad Jim, I thought I'd put a little note in here for Mike's benefit:

You see, I know for a fact that Mike Conrad is a "lurker" on this forum. He's one of the "spark plugs" of our club (Carbon Canyon Model T Club) and I often tease him about the fact that a year or so ago, Mike told me that he enjoys the forum and would soon be making contributions on the forum from time to time, due to some sort of computer "upgrade" at that time. He has a beautiful '15 roadster that he (literally) drives the liv'n daylights out of, and I'll just be that now that you mentioned that he used to drive his Model T to school Bob, he could probably tell some great Model T related stories regarding his long and "colorful" history with Model T Fords.

Alright Mike, we know you're out there; it's about time you stopped "lurking" and started "contributing"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber Spanaway, Wa. on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 03:16 pm:

We took my ol' rusty '24 tudor to the local park this AM about 6:30 for our daily 2 mile or so walk. About 10 miles.
People were kinda looking funny at us.
I have those repop chrome reflectors and they seem to me to work very well.
I drive at night often.
I have brake lights and turn sigs.
Mike Conrad drives at night and in rain always with the top down!
He's tougher than I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 06:42 pm:

@Dave Huson and others: Thank you for the nice words for my T.
Yes, it is a Danish build 4 door body. After all I have been able to dig up of the cars history, it wasmost likely assembled at the newly established assembly plant in Copenhagen 1921 or 22 (Current title says it is a 1922, but it may not be the right one). Later - probably in 1925 - it was changed to this closed 4 door body by the local body workshop in the little township its owner lived in (Kettinge). Here is the plaque found on the dashboard:

Here it is in Warwick in mid England when I took it over there to participate in the annual general assembly in the Ford Y & C Register (I also have a Model C of German origin aka. Ford Eifel):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:20 pm:

The family and I just got back from a ten mile trip to Lowes to get some paint. My wife has had this goal since October to repaint every room in the house. This includes taking everything down from the walls, filling in holes, seaming cracks, etc. She needed to make a paint run and wanted me to go along. I had just got back from running errands in our modern car and didn't feel like going out again. She asked, "If we take your Model T, will you go?" That was all the bribery it took - after all, it was too nice a day to not drive it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration