Help-Ford Trivia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Help-Ford Trivia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Edwards on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:07 pm:

I usually run the Christmas gift exchange for our club. Instead of using names or numbers to draw lots, I use antique car trivia. You do not have to know the answer to go to package pool. What the questions do is fill in the gaps and provide entertainment as well as being educational. It can also be very controversial.

This year's trivia topic is Henry Ford, the Model T, or any Ford product. What I would like is your best trivia question about these topics. No question can be too odd or obscure. I need about a dozen more questions.

What is your best Ford trivia?

Thanks in advance.
24t42

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:11 pm:

Question: Who was Henry Fords secret lady friend?
Answer: Evangeline Cote'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:18 pm:

Okey, here's one.

Why is it said that "you could have any color as long as it's black"?

The real/correct answer, despite anything else you've ever heard is that at the time, Black Japan Lacquer was used, and that particular paint dried faster than anything else available at the time, which aided in the speed of the Model T Ford assembly line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:38 pm:

Here's a few that come to mind.

Why didn't Ford make a six cylinder engine?
He felt they were imbalanced. He did build a prototype inline five cylinder engine that ran very rough.

Who was Edsel Ford named after?
Henry's boyhood friend Edsel Ruddiman

Why were there ponds outside of Ford's Engineering Lab in Dearborn?
They are left over clay ponds from when they had brick kilns on the property.

What was the first hotel to be affiliated with an airport?
The Dearborn Inn. (It still has a windsock)

What is behind the Dearborn Inn?
Replica homes of famous people.

What was built at Ford Airport and never used?
A dirigible mast

What was a new feature only offered on the '65 Ford Station Wagon?
The magic door gate; a combination door and tailgate.

How were the variable speed wipers accomplished on the '65 Lincoln?
They used a hydraulic motor powered by the power steering pump.

What was the first year for sealed beams on a Ford? 1940

What was the first year for dual hydraulic brakes on a Ford? 1967

What was the Wrist Twist system?
A steering system that replaced the steering wheel with a bar with two knobs. Another version of the system was based on the console. An electric pump provided backup if the engine shut off.

What is unique about the chimney on the Dearborn Engineering Lab Powerhouse?
It does not go to the ground. It is sitting on a large manifold coming off the boilers. This arguably makes it the world's tallest free standing masonary chimney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:32 pm:

Hi Tom,
Just a comment on Ford and his 6 cyl engines.
I read/heard that Ford was so put off by the model K that he didn't want to do another 6 again.
They had a 6 during WW2 as well. I don't know if Henry was still around then.

Hope you don't mind.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:57 pm:

When and where was the very last Model T Ford assembled?

December of 1928, in Cork, Ireland. The plant opened in 1917.

The town memorialized the Model T Ford with a statue (above).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 11:45 pm:

What happened on October 1, 1908?

The first production Model T was built, engine number 001.

What happened 84 years ago today on December 2, 1928?

The Model A Ford was introduced.

What wartime product was made of wood in Fords' Iron Mountain, Michigan plant?

Gliders.

What is the name of the sports teams at the Kingsford, Michigan High School?

The Flivers.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 12:24 am:

Oops... I found two conflicting websites regarding the date of the last Model T built in Cork, Ireland. One says 1927 and the other says 1928. If anyone has the tie-breaker, please do let us know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 12:25 am:

When were the last model T engines made? August, 1941

All Model T's were black. True or False

What movie star bought one of the first Model A's? Doug Fairbanks bought a sport coupe for Mary Pickford. It arrived on Christmas Eve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:07 am:

That should be 1927 (DEC 2) the A was introduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:16 am:

What famous Ford Model T by-product is still marketed and well known today?

Answer (from Wikipedia):
The Kingsford Company was formed by Henry Ford and E.G. Kingsford during the early 1920s. Charcoal was developed from Ford Motor Company's factory waste wood scrap. The Kingsford Company was formed when E.G. Kingsford, a relative of Ford's, brokered the site selection for Ford's new charcoal manufacturing plant. The company, originally called Ford Charcoal, was renamed in E.G.’s honor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy - Cork, IRELAND on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 04:47 am:

Seven months after the last Model T had left Dearbourn, on 31st December 1927, production finally ceased in Cork, Ireland. Cork had built over 10,000 examples of the "Universal Car", and in the process had gained the leading position in the Irish market.

The photograph that Bob posted is that of a stainless steel replica that the village people of Ballinascarthy, County Cork commissioned and placed on the roadside in recognition of the Ford family and Henry Ford' achievement. His mother and father emigrated from Ireland to the "new world" at the height of the potato famine in 1847.

The T replica is a stopping point for photograph opportunities for car buffs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 04:47 am:

Manuel, As I recall the '41 Ford was the first post Model K car to be offered with a six. I had a '41 Tudor with the V8 and a lot of old timers would stop to tell me how well theirs with the six cylinder used to run.

I did know about the Model K and Henry being forced into building it.

From what I heard about the I-5 engine, Henry would start it and with a smirk would say "Smooth isn't it". The last time I saw that engine was in the early eighties. It disappeared when they took out the battery lab from the building I was in. Many of the display engines were moved out at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:08 am:

I heard that when the six cylinder engine came out in 40 or 41 it produced 90 horsepower while the V-8 was only 85 so they had to start calling the V-8 100 horsepower.

Tom, is there any more you can tell us about the experimental five cylinder engine? I saw one of these in about 1960 at Horn's Cars Of Yesteryear in Sarasota, FL. I've been courious about them ever since but have not been able to find out anything. Thanks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:28 pm:

Just to add a bit of trivia.
VW sells a car with a V-5 engine here. Its not a V-6 and I have not driven one.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 03:33 pm:

A little off topic - but 5 cylinder engines have been known to be successful. Acura (Honda) marketed a 2.3 liter inline 5 cylinder in their CL model for years and it was a pretty good engine as far as I know. It did always seem a little odd to me, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 05:38 pm:

Great thread- soon as I get done with my supper and watch the news I'll add a few things here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 05:44 pm:

Volvo has also done the I5 trick for almost 20 years now.

Back to Ford trivia - Henry, born a few weeks after the battle of Gettysburg is said to have had a belief he was the reincarnation of a soldier who died in that conflict, thus his lifelong pacifism (source: A Distant Thunder, Michigan in the Civil War by Richard Bak)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 05:45 pm:

HERE IS ONE I WROTE.

T Quiz

New. There was a variant in the front fender iron circa 1912 that had a very specail use. What was the varient and for what purpose? (A cast in and drilled loop to clip the top strap.)

A In what calendar year was Model T one million produced?

When was the first Model A Ford produced by the Ford Company?

B In what year did Hebnry Ford finish and drive his first automobile?

C What was the name of the main Ford home in Michigan.
Fairlane

D The “Two-piece” drive shaft was used on what years?

1909-1913
E Henry Ford worked as an superintendet at the Detroit Company Plant of a famous person who later became a close friend. Who was that man?

Thomas Eison
F The crank hand on the early 1909s was made of? Wood

G What was the name of Henry Fords wife? Clara

H The Model T coupe with a folding top or removable posts was known as the?
Coupelet

I Henry Ford’s grandfather cam from County Cork, Ireland. What nationality were they?

English

J The correct name for the Model T “roadster” as used by Ford was?

Runabout
K A company that Henry Ford was assciated with 1902 was “ merged” with a tool andengine manufacture after Ford left and that company went on to produce a famous auto.

Name both the autombile AND the name of the man from the engine company.

Cadillac and Henry Leland

L. Edsel Ford had one daughter. What was her married name?

Ford

M The Model T engine known as the “open valve” was used in what years?

1909-1911

N In what years was the “Buffalo” carburetors used?

1909 & 1910
O The 1926-27 models of the T had the gas tank in the cowl except for what models?

Fordor Sedan and TT truck

P The “Ford Special” speedometer was used during what two model years?

1914 & 1915

Q What was the first Model T model year that Ford offered electrical starting equipment?

R. The E&J model 466 or Brown model 15 head lights were used on what Model T model years?
1909-1910

S Early Model T Ford top irons were oval in shape. During what year were rectangle-shaped irons introduced? 1917

T What is the accepted model year for the first TT trucks? 1917

20. What is the “correct” name for the Model T timer? Commutator

U What was the last year in which bulb horns were issued as standard equipment on the Model T?

V “One piece spindles were used on the early Model T Fords. There is some evidence that they
may have been used in a later year as shown in a parts catalog. What year catalog?

W The “Improved Fords” are what model years? 1926 & 27

X. In the inital production of Model T Fords with a starter and generator, where was the generator cutout mounted?

On the firewall

Y In what year were the front rubber mats on the Model T changed from off-white color to black?

Z When was the first Model A Ford produced by the Ford Company?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 05:49 pm:

THE TT TRUCK ANSWER SHOULD BE model year1918. It was first build and sold in 1917, but was listed as an 1918 model/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 06:15 pm:

Name an auto part that was used on the Model T, and all other cars of the period, and is still used on all autos today, both domestic and foriegn, and still looks and works exactly the same and costs the same as it did in 1900.

Hint: Your modern car, like your Model T, has 5 of these parts (maybe a few more).

Answer: Schrader Valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 07:00 pm:

The Volvo five cylinder diesel was made by V W The first Ford flathead sixes in 40-41 model had kicked pistons high above the deck of the block. the 49-51 engine had pistons that just reached the deck of the block. A lot of Ford trucks had the flat head six in them and power increasing after market equipment was made to assist the truck with more power. A lot of guys put that equipment on their cars too. In Long Beach CA they raced "Cracker Boxes" that were flat bottomed speed boats at Marine Stadium made for the 1932 Olympics. They ran the 226 inch Ford sixes in them as a class. Clay Smith ground the steel billet cams for them and I had one of them. Turned 83 in the quarter mile with that little engine back in 1952. It was a full race track cam and was hard to handle. The wheels jumped off of the ground. It had two carburetors, the 373" lift cams with horrid dwell and lope that followed it, Malory ignition a Nickison intake maniforld and a Knudson head. Headders finished it off and it was a girl getter. It caught Mary . . . ;~}

51 a

engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 07:46 pm:

Henry Ford's Engineering Lab in Dearborn has many names engraved on the top stones. Edison, Volta, Amphere are known to many. One name "Kirby" is often mistaken as the inventor of the vacuum cleaner.

Who was Kirby and why is he on a Ford Building?

Frank Kirby was an engineer at the Detroit Drydock Company. He encouraged Henry Ford in his younger days. Frank Kirby also invented the modern icebreaker hull.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:13 pm:

Who is Ford Road in Dearborn named after?
William Ford - Henry's father (This was the road that bordered his farm.

Who is the Ford Freeway which passes through Dearborn named after?
Edsel Ford

What brand of auto was used in Henry Ford's funeral?
A Packard Hearse.

Where is Henry Ford's grave?
On Joy Road, west of Greenfield.

Who was Henry Joy?
He was the president of Packard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:24 pm:

When Henry Ford was a young man he envisioned a mass produced product with interchangeable parts, that could be sold more cheaply than any others being made at the time. What was it?

A Pocket watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:33 pm:

Okay, I goofed. Turns out the last Model T built by Ford was assembled in Redford Michigan, in December of 2001.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Edwards on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 06:44 pm:

Thank you to everyone who has contributed. There are some excellent questions here. If I use some of them though, I might not be asked to do the trivia again. Hmn! That might not be a bad thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 07:29 pm:

Hey Judy, I came up with two more!

(1)When Ford T owners used 4 dry cells to run the ignition coils on non Battery equipped cars, where did they place the cells? Answer, No one really knows.

(2)Were Ford T seats ever stuffed with Spanish moss from the factory? Answer, Not likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:03 am:

What former Ford officer first questioned "Trickle Down Economics"?

Who originated the term "Trickle Down Economics"?

James Couzens and Will Rogers, respectively

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:41 am:

I question the statement that Ford called roadsters by the name "runabouts". Henry himself seemed to refer to all roadster built after about 1911 as "torpedoes". I just think this question is not a good one to use since it is easy to misunderstand whether you are talking about Henry Ford, Ford Motor company, Ford drawings... There seems to be a lot of evidence that both Roadster and Runabout were both used at various places and times while Henry called them torpedoes after the 1911/1912 time frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 05:07 pm:

I was talking about the offical model name used in catalogs and parts lists.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration