Need Advice: Mounting a tire on a split rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Need Advice: Mounting a tire on a split rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:56 pm:

Tomorrow I will be mounting a rear tire for my 1915 touring. The tire is a 4.50 x 21 and will be mounted in a demountable split rim (rim catch shown below)

I have never mounted a tire on this type rim before. Do you put the rim in the tire and then expand it and (attempt to) lock it with the catch or engage the catch and then mount it like a regular tire?

Very confusing to a relitive newbie. Any advice greatly appreciated.

schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:09 pm:

You are missing the latch. I wouldn't use that rim untill it is properly fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:36 pm:

Both rear rims look just like this. How does the latch attach ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 11:17 pm:

Nevermind guys. I did a little more research in the archives and found out this is a Firestone rim and is missing the locking cam. Will try to fabricate one tomorrow.

Also found instructions on mounting. So I'm good.

Cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 11:17 pm:

Nevermind guys. I did a little more research in the archives and found out this is a Firestone rim and is missing the locking cam. Will try to fabricate one tomorrow.

Also found instructions on mounting. So I'm good.

Cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 11:26 pm:

Using a rim spreader tool makes it much easier. These spreaders show up on ebay every once in awhile. There was a thread on this Forum for using two pieces of wood with a radius cut on each one to match the curve of the split rim and a small hydraulic bottle jack to spread the rim out after the tire is mounted on the rim. Either of these methods make the job much easier. Don't forget to use tire lube or dishwashing soap as a lubricant on the tire - it helps to make things go smoothly.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:16 am:

Thanks Keith. i think I'm going to make the homemade spreader today and give it a go if I can fabricate the locking latch sucessfuly.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Crabtree on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:42 am:

When you go to change it, set aside about three hours. I changed all four of mine, using brand new rims and new tires and tubes. By the fourth one- we had her down pat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 01:14 pm:

Schuh - If you want to come up to Wisconsin I'll show you how to do it. (Grin) We don't have any snow now, but it's raining today.

I have a 32" x 32" work bench I use for mounting tires. It sure beats doing it on the floor, and you can work from all 4 sides.

I've had lots of split rims that were rusted beyond use. Before scraping the rims, I strip off the lugs and latches for what it's worth. I don't think I have a latch like you need now, but someone on the Forum might have some.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 04:56 pm:

Well ... I got lucky. I was able to fabricate a latch in about an hour and the actual mounting of the tire took about 15 minutes.

I used the homemade spreader with the 2 2x4's cut to the inside radius if the rim and a small hydraulic jack to do the spreading. All went together beautifully.

If anyones interested in the homemade latch (no complex tools required) I will post pictures, etc.

BTW Keith, I had a chance to tour the southern part of WI this summer and its truely some of the most beautiful farming country I've seen!

Cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Utphall on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:34 pm:

the keys are: get a rim spreader, couple tire levers and know that by the 4th one you'll just figure out all kinds of little tricks and the last one will take about 2 minutes:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration