My car's back running again, wheeee!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: My car's back running again, wheeee!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 01:54 am:

Most of you might remember that I had a wee spot of trouble with my L-4 carb a bit ago...I stripped the threads on the carb stem, crossthreading the bowl nut.

Well, I got a new (well old really) stipped brass body L-4 from Steve Boothroyd. The first thing I did was give it a nice whirlpool bath in the old ultrasonic and then I put all my old carbs parts into it.

Just had to snap a few pic's of the little golden treasure to show everybody, thanks again Steve, you're a life saver!

Pretty aint it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:02 am:

Too clean! :-) Nice looking carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:09 am:

My engine or the carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:25 am:

I think its nice that Model T people help each other. Martin needed the part and Steve helped him out that's what's its all about! Thanks James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 03:01 am:

Nice looking carb. Congrats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:21 am:

If it drives as good as it looks, you are going to be a rolling ray of sunshine. Very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Calk on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:05 am:

What is the ultrasonic whirlpool bath? The metal looks greeeeat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:07 am:

wow that is pretty! I have a brass (bronze?) L4 on my car but it is painted. wishing now we'd left it like yours. Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 12:09 pm:

Hope you know I was just ribbing you on the clean part. If you are going to take the time to restore a bronze carb why not polish it too. I have a Schebler FA that when I get it all dialed in, will give it a good polish. What color gray is your motor painted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 06:23 pm:

Mark,
Restolium Light Grey, I did it in '79 and it still looks good.

Wayne,
It's just an ultrasonic, (about one gallon) it makes ripples in a sort of circular motion out from the middle. It's the agitation of the cleaner (formula 409 cut with water) that polishes it like that, does a right fair job of decreasing too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:00 pm:

Thanks for the paint color. When I pull my motor to do some needed transmission work I am going to clean and paint the block. I like that color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 04:55 am:

Mark,
If you can't find Light Grey, try Dawn Grey, it's in the same shade range.

Of course too much grey is not a good thing to my way of thinking, the engine gets lost. So I broke up all that grey with Spring Green and black makes the motor sort of stand out in there don't it? With the blue crowns, the red hoses and those yellow wires I've sort of got the spectrum covered. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 08:36 am:

I'm impressed with the cleaning job. Where would one find an ultrasonic cleaner? How long does it take?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melisa Alam on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 09:25 am:

Try cosmetic stores, they sell it for cleaning jewelry. They come in various sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:56 am:

Thank you for the extra photo of the motor. It looks era correct (maybe not T but that is ok). Mine looks era correct now...rust! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 06:59 pm:

Hal,

Jewelry cleaners won't cut it, their too small and way to under powered. You need an industrial one (about 1 gal capacity, and make sure it has a stainless steel tank, that way you can use just about anything in it) I got mine from Graingers years ago, when a friend of mine was the general manager of the local store here. I imagine they still have them.

It usually takes about an hour to do a nice thorough job of cleaning.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration