Transmission drum inspection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Transmission drum inspection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:27 am:

I have my transmission apart and discovered that my low and reverse dums are cracked. Before installing any other used drums I want to make certain that they are not cracked also. I read in a past thread that there is a kind of solvent that some use to find cracks in transmission drums. What is this called? Also, does anybody have any good low and reverse drums that they would be willing to sell?

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 03:10 am:

The solvent might be paint thinners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 03:11 am:

Dave Huson, a frequent poster has drums for you. Consider removing and installing the gears off the old drums onto the new drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 05:03 am:

Stephen, there is a dye-penetrant system that works very well. I don't know of any name brands, but I'm sure a search on the internet will bring up many results. We used them on our helicopters in Viet Nam, they work. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 07:42 am:

I would take those drums to a machine shop that can wet magnaflux them. It is quicker and finds more cracks than the mess made from the dye. Since magnafluxing is a more obvious method of crack detection it can find any crack in the drum before the cracks find you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:09 am:

I have good results with starting fluid. Also, I have used drums also for sale.

Andy
aloso@q.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:18 am:

The problem with used drums are the gears on them, they have ran all this time with a matched set, now when you change out one gear the trans will make more noise unless you are lucky enough to find a near perfect gear. I would buy a new drum for your gear and rerivet it back on. That way you have the same match in gears. There is J&M machine that sell drums and a new guy Dave Nolting from Ashley Ohio that sells drums also, I have bought from both and right now they are both getting tested on a trip from Australia to Moscow! Hope this helps, I have been there and done this. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:38 am:

All the cracks I've seen (here) the crack is not just a hairline crack, but a wide open crack in the drum outer surface.
That includes the two I have had my self.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:55 am:

Generally speaking, theyre pretty obvious once cleaned up. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:56 am:

Generally speaking, theyre pretty obvious once cleaned up. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:58 am:

Maybe one day this place will update from PAC MAN to DONKEY KONG... sorry about the double post! ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 12:40 pm:

Everyone sees the typical web cracks but again that's why I would say get them magnafluxed as the drums do crack on the rivets and other places that wouldn't be as obvious.You can't see all with starting fluid or "Charm flow"
The machine was invented for a reason.

"So that you don't have to do it twice."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 07:04 pm:

The dye penetrant system they used at my former workplace is Zyglo. It works quite well and has the advantage that it also works on non magnetic materials.
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 07:13 pm:

Are cracks in the web that bigga' deal? I've been running an R drum almost forever with web cracks.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 07:21 pm:

An accident, looking for a time to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 11:12 pm:

Yes, they are because I do not want a destroyed transmission and possible traffic accident.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum - Webster Groves, Mo on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:45 am:

Hey Stephen,
Your drums are here. Call me.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Heatherly on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:53 am:

Steve, I will tomorrow morning.

Thank you,
Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration