Holes for pin in slow speed notch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Holes for pin in slow speed notch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Bell on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 01:32 pm:

Are the holes in the slow speed notch that the pin (rivet) goes through supposed to be different sizes? Mine has a smaller hole on one side that the pin will not go through. Am I supposed to drill it out larger or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:33 pm:

The pin is supposed to be tapered. It is inserted into the larger end, through the shaft (which is also tapered), and into the small end. Tapped in with a hammer, it is not going to fall out. When removed, the pin-driver must be started at the small end.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 04:05 pm:

James Bell:

Make sure you have a SUPPORT under the slow speed notch or you will stand a good chance of putting a bend in the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 04:58 pm:

Yes you have to drill the new ones. They are made that way. Guarantees alignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Bell on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 06:02 pm:

I have a new shaft and the hole in it is not tapered. So, who is right, Jack or James Mahaffey?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:33 pm:

Jack, Gets my vote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:15 pm:

I have never seen a tapered one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:57 pm:

AGH! You are correct, sirs. Wrong Ford. I was thinking of the pedal-shaft on the Model A, which is held onto the bell housing with a tapered pin.

So sorry.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Larson on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:37 am:

Jack Putnam ALWAYS gets MY vote! one great Model T guy!!

Don Larson - ('Mikey's' BEST Friend) . . .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration