Old photo, interesting wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Old photo, interesting wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 10:21 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 10:35 am:

Aluminum, maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper . . Keene, NH on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:25 am:

Aren't those similar to the wheels on Humble Howard's racer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john mann on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:32 am:

Is it just me or does the guy outside the car look a lot like Slim Pickens?...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 02:14 pm:

John, you've got a point there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 01:33 am:

Those wheels are very much like Howard's Lucky number 7. I believe the spokes are steel. I recall Howard talking about when he restored them for his car. I have only seen a few other sets of them, myself.
Been a long time since I saw that movie!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:36 am:

Those are Parker Hydraulic wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:39 am:

Dan, hydrualic how? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:47 pm:

I am going to guess "Hydraulic" because they used a hydraulic press to form the spokes?? But just as likely the name of the company left over from the last product they made!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 01:28 pm:

Yeh, same wheels as Humble Howard's. He had an extra set for sale at one time. Articles in Best of Fahnestock said steel spokes were no good, because they would bend and not recover when overstressed.

I wonder if they became Parker-Hannifin, maker of hydraulics for airplanes. Their most notable product was the 737 rudder actuator that would go into control reversal once in a great while.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 03:52 pm:

Layden knew, they were hydraulically pressed.
They're made from two sheet metal halves welded together (sloppily with a torch), capturing an oak donut at the hub. The oak filler keeps the hub bolts from crushing and collapsing the thin halves. The wood donut is not replacable without slicing the wheel apart again and re-welding it; but modern restorers pour the hub cavity full of resin instead.

The ends of the eight spokes have a pressed thimble in them, creating a little pocket that restrains a square nut. The lugs are loose steel forgings, held by a hex bolts, through a hole in the face of the spokes. When the bolts are loose the lugs will rotate 90 degrees to clear the rim.

I have had a set of the wheels for at least 30 years and have seen ads for them in auto magazines from the mid-'teens and I was able to catch a NOS brochure for them on eBay. I've never used them because my "friends" refer to them as implement wheels and have shamed me into thinking they are ugly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:56 pm:

It's good to see you back, Dan. It has been quite a while since you were here. We've missed your input on the "What car is this?" questions. You always seemed to know the answer to those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:59 pm:

p.s. Dan -- What ever became of that oddball speedster you bought some time back. Did you rebuild it? If so, how about an update and some pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:18 pm:

I also look forward to a Dan Haynes update, especially on the '09 project.

Craig

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration