Timers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Timers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:11 am:

I'd like to know how many aftermarket timers were available way back when!
Anderson, new day, apco, apperson, tiger, bull dog.
I'm sure there are lots more! what have you got sitting on the shelf?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:49 am:

Here's a few I collected. I know there were a lot more than this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 10:10 pm:

Nice collection! Here's another vintage timer but with modern innards:

E-Timer

E-Timer internal views

The E-Timer Electronic Ignition. FYI, There's one on E-Bay right now just in time for the holidays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:14 am:

Hey Mike, If I run this timer do I still have to put a dab of grease somewhere or is just a shot of some special timer oil in the oil hole OK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 05:11 am:

Gene, there are no mechanical contacts within the E-Timer itself so the oil hole is strictly for appearance only.

Folks with regular drivers who put a lot of miles on their car concerned about ware can apply a light coat of grease on just the very edge of the outer timer housing where it contacts the engine timer cover to prevent ware and ease timer adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:20 am:

Back to the thread, I have about 25 different ones and I'm sure there were dozens and dozens more. A guy named Doc Buie in Vancouver, BC has a couple hundred in his collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 06:47 pm:

A couple hundred???? I had no idea there were that many different companies making them! I figured maybe 20!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:04 pm:

Mike, Maybe this discussion should be on a new thread?

If this new Vintage timer doesn't have any mechanical parts to wear out and need continous attention that would be an amazing breakthru for many of us that run coils and timers?

Great Collection!
I had no idea and am amazed at how many timers were available for the T in the day. I guess many people must have had problems and wanted something better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:14 pm:

I'm interested in the new timer also, but I started this thread to learn more about the old ones.
What say you Mike? start a thread and tell us more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:24 pm:

There were four or five patented in 1921, all close together with the dates. The Crystal Timer still being advertised is one of those. This is another new old stock with the box that was made in Maryland.

Timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:43 pm:

There are plenty of discussions about the E-Timer in previous threads here on the Forum.

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:25 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:30 am:

\popjpeg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:15 pm:

Somewhere back a few years there was a thread about timers that had a bunch of pictures. I posted about 25 of mine. Those are part of the pictures I lost with my computer crash last month. I'll take a bunch of pics one of these days and post them. Tom or Rick Carnegie also had a bunch posted if I remember right. Tom, I think, did some tests as to which ones worked best. There are only a few basic designs; those with a roller, those with a brush, those with a set of points. Just about the only ways to make contact. It is the variations in those three basic designs that make them interesting.

Incidentally, those Spad timers work great and must have been very popular as they are easy to find, even NOS. The problem with them was that they didn't require oil but also were not very tolerant of it. They would get slick inside and start to miss.

My personal favorite is the Turner, with the tube for the wires. I bought one off ebay last year that was supposed to be NOS in the box, it was well used and just thrown in the shipping box with virtually no padding and it pretty much ruined the box. I've never seen another box for them, I like the boxes about as well as the timers so I was pretty disappointed.

There used to be an ad showing a road leading to a factory with words that said, "Build a better timer and the Fords will build a path to your door." Wish I had a copy of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:23 pm:

Seems like someone posted pics of one that had a magnet on the cam that closed the 4 contacts and therefore no rolling or wiping motion. Am I just dreaming that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:08 pm:

Here is a 2006 thread with a bunch of Stan'e timer photos:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10263.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 02:00 pm:

Alot of these timers seem to be just a variation of the design of the spring loaded arm. I'm surprised patents were granted for some of them their so alike. Then there's that Fansteel timer. Nothing like complicating a design that works to improve it. If one spring loaded arm is good 3 more should be outstanding. Reminds me of the JC Whitney ads from years back: improves mileage! Improves performance! Never fill you fuel tank again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:25 pm:

Erich.......is that the Rube Goldberg Timer?....... :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=179374&post=386781#POST386781

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:46 pm:

Ha, Craig, it sure is. Looks like a "better" mouse trap. So many wheels, just needs a few cogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:52 pm:

Don't forget this one.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/6367373777/in/set-72157625986104355

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 04:18 pm:

This one is almost as bad...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/5583647963/in/set-72157626416205066
and one more...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/5459573855/in/set-72157625965429605

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 03:11 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 03:00 am:

Hey Erich and Mike

Reading the Motor Age sales ad for the Master timer I couldn't think how it more accurately describes the new E Timer Mike Kossor has built. It easy to see the many points of wear even on this one.

Think of the E on a Ford Car
Think what it will mean to you... Maybe a new sales add for you Mike?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 03:12 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 04:21 am:

Does anyone have a video or pic of a Crystal running? I'd like to see what the visible spark looks like :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration