1905 Photo, Model A?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 1905 Photo, Model A?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KEN PARKER on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:24 am:

Adrian,

Have you already looked at this photo on Shorpy? Springs and radiator look sort of like Model A.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/11842?size=_original

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 01:03 pm:

The one on the far right does look like a Model A Ford, not a Cadillac, based mostly on the radiator. The left hand car might be a Model C Ford with the rear entrance tonneau. No idea on the car in the middle.

Apparently, parking was more laid back and laissez-faire than it is now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

Buick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 02:52 pm:

Tom,

Concerning the car to the far right, it is often difficult to tell if the car is a 1903 Cadillac (produced more than in 1903) style or the 1903 Ford (produced in more than 1903) style as they look similar. Both bodies were produced by the Wilson Body Company but they are not exactly the same size etc.

Note the Ford chassis had Full Elliptic springs on both sides of the front and back of the car Ford Times Chart 1911 or so reprinted page 46&47 of Sternís ďTin Lizzie.Ē But the Cadillac had semi-Elliptic on each corner of their car. At: http://classiccars.about.com/od/classiccarphotogallery/ig/Petersen/1903Cadillac.htm is a photo of a 1903 ish Cadillac showing those semi-Elliptical springs and the spring/frame extension that the front of the spring attached.

The 1903 Ford used the Full Elliptical springs (as well as the later 2 cylinder Fords) you can see several on the Early Ford Registry ďmembers photosĒ at: http://www.earlyfordregistry.com/photos_automobiles.htm

Below is an expanded version of the Shorpy cars on the right side and I believe I see the semi-elliptical front spring which would rule out a Ford and point towards the 1903 style Cadillac (although there may have been other makes with similar style).

The car on the far left has a hood that is more sloped on top than the Model C hood was which was gently rounded on top and then a sharp curve to drop down the sides. Additionally it appears to have a very long shift lever or brake lever going down to the frame of the car. The Model C lever only went into the seat of the car. Iím not sure what type of car it is but Iím fairly certain it is not a stock Ford. Compare the photos of the Model Cís at the Early Ford Registry link above.

I donít know enough about the Buicks to guess without looking it up. Layden is usually correct with his postings so I will assume he is correct. Iím off to the garage so I will let others add the information they observe.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration