Band replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Band replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:30 am:

My friend has a 1917 Touring and he needs to replace the bands. He has the non removable ear bands and needs to remove the hogs head to replace them. He has bought a set of removable ear bands which he wants to install so that he can replace them in the future without removing the hogs head. Besides the new linings and the gaskets, is there any other part he will need to accomplish this. Note: his existing low adjustment is turned in so far that the end of the adjuster shaft touches the pedal shaft, and his pedal bottoms out before the band is completely compressed. The existing lining is not completely gone, but cannot be adjusted any tighter. The spring is not completely compressed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:53 am:

The non-detachable band slo-speed shaft actually goes inside the slo-speed adjuster. What you have described regarding his adjustment situation is the detachable ear set up already being installed. Is he positive he has non-detachable ear bands currently? The removable ear should go towards the pedal side and sometimes cannot be clearly identified if you don't know what to look for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:44 pm:

You describe the later low-speed shaft so he should be good to go.

Maybe his present low is not a T band? Still, if his springs have been yanked all over the place in the last 95+ years, I'd just go and change them on a just because basis.

There is a way to NOT have to pull the hogshead on a 17. FWIW, pack it tight with foam, pull the springs/washers/nuts. Slide out the shafts as far as possible. Start with the one closest to the front and wiggle it forward and turn 180 degrees (Do make sure it is NOT a detachable ear, and if it is ear is OFF). Then pluck it up like a horseshoe and 'work' it if you have to. It will just barely fit with the right amount of wiggle room and patience. Do the same for the next, and the next.

The demount without the 'ear' can then be put on in the exact same reverse order, back end on first or you can still thread them in place with the temper spring puller. Put it all back together noramlly from there after packing again with foam.

That said, I still pull the hogshead when I find non-demounts and change them over...gives me a chance to look everything over with a clear line of sight and I figure the seal up is then the least of my worries. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:53 pm:

Norm, on my 24 i replaced the low pedal shaft with a 26/27 shaft and replaced the adjuster, with the removable ear bands you can replace them without removing the hogshead.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

On my 17 I found that I can not use quick change bands with the blade style hooks. The button style may work? not sure. The inner casting for the shafts interfer with the ear on the band when attempting to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 03:25 pm:

I agree with Jim Sims. I had to remove hogshead. I also removed and installed wood bands, which I believe are harder to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop-San Diego, CA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 09:25 pm:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm the guy Norm was referring to. I have removable ear bands on my '26 plus 3 "used" removable ear bands I just got from Dave Huson to put on this '17. I'm positive the existing bands on the '17 are not removable ear type (even tho the end of the adjuster shaft does touch the pedal shaft now like Norm said.
Altho I've been assured they will fit, my two concerns after the above advice are

1) will the removable ear bands even fit my '17?
2) do I need to get a different adjuster shaft-shorter, longer, etc- to use with the removable ear low band? I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks for your help Norm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 04:13 am:

From the encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc25.htm
"JUN 1 (1925) Letter from the Chicago Branch
Transmission bands with the detachable ear on all production was noted. The letter gave instructions on the removal and installation, and notes that it was necessary to cut off approximately 1-1/2" of the clutch pedal shaft, as well as installing a new transmission band adjusting screw extension T-1525-R when these bands were used on earlier (non-detachable bands) transmissions. (2-1/2" to be cut off is specified in a letter of July 28.)"

So make sure what type of adjusting screw you have.. The slow speed shaft doesn't need to be changed out, just cut to the right length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 04:16 am:

Since you have a '26, you can check there how it is supposed to fit with the detachable ears :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop-San Diego, CA on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:54 pm:

Thank all of you for your help, and Norm for getting this started for me.

Rick-thanks for your email help on the correct parts numbers and what I need to do.

Roger- thanks for the help and correct info.

From what Steve said above, and in a very informative email he sent me (and phone number if I had problems), it looks like I might be wrong about it being a non-removable ear band. If so, that's great news and should be much easier. If not, thank all of you who have given me advice on how to install the removable ear bands. I can't look at the car until tomorrow morning, but I'll keep you updated. I also haven't had time to look at the Service Manual yet.
Again, another time where MTFCA members have bailed me out. Thank you all very much.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration