Is there a use for old plate glass?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Is there a use for old plate glass?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:34 am:

I have some old windshield glass that I just can't seem to make myself part with. However, for the life of me, I don't know what I will ever use it for. Should I just toss it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:48 am:

Trace it out on some heavy paper for a template, roll it up and store it. Toss the glass or make a coffee table out of it. I find myself always accumulating and downsizing at the same time. Are you gonna move it so it doesnt shatter for the next 20 years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:49 am:

Coffee Tables!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:49 am:

Mount it into a Model T Windshield frame, then find a nice, local, recognizable stretch of endless highway and take a picture. Have it blown up, then mount it under the windshield and hang it on your shop wall. That way you could still keep it, have it stored out of the way and display it in a clever way. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Cunningham on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:50 am:

Good for sanding things nice and flat..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:59 am:

The old timers used them for cutting head light lenses. I use them for windows on my blast cabinet. When they get cloudy,I just tose them in the trash

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 11:03 am:

You coould use them for garden cold frames for growing plants early in the year before the end of the frost saeson. Just my idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 11:19 am:

NOT for coffee tables! Many times in the past shattered glass in coffee tables have caused major injuries. A kid can drop a glass or other item on it with drastic results. I may be wrong but I believe that now tempered glass is required in new furniture being sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Boothroyd on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 05:57 pm:

If the glass is really old with slight distortion and imperfections, it can be used to make new clock dial and door glass.
I just did that with my Seth Thomas Regulator #2.
Clock restoration / conservation is one of my other hobbies.
I rescued some very old house glass and had the dial and door glass cut from it.
Waste not want not.
Sorry for the bad pic; you can just see the newly cut clock glass.

Recycled old glass

Regards,

Steve Boothroyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:31 pm:

Great for practicing lettering for sign painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 06:02 am:

Save one for mixing bondo on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:06 am:

At approximately 1/4" thick, windshield glass is probably a little too thick and heavy for clock door or window glass which usually requires glass with no more than a 1/16" thickness. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Key in NM on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:03 pm:

I saw a big kid one time over at a neighbor's ranch sit down on such a coffee table. The glass broke sending a large sliver the size of a hunting knife deep into the boy's buttock. Luckily, no artery was severed.

Don't use it for a coffee table.

Billy Key

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

Use it to weigh down your recycling bin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Boothroyd on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:25 pm:

Yes that's very true Jim.
I used old house window glass, but I was just demonstrating that you can re-use glass or other used materials if you put your mind to it.

Regards,

Steve Boothroyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:31 pm:

Makes great sheet music covers for music stands when playing outdoors on a breezy day.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration