Why are the rods tubes open

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Why are the rods tubes open
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:16 pm:

Hi,

I disassembled the read axle.
Now I have seen, the rod - tubes are partially open at the top.
Also the outer tube of the differential is not closed properly.

Is it a good idea to weld them ?

Thanks for your tips.

Willi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:26 pm:

The seam on the later style radius rods should be pointing down to the ground. They let moisture escape. No need to weld closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:36 pm:

Probably upside down, filled with water and froze at some point. Take them off and put them in a vise and try to tweek them. If they give way replace them. Maybe the rear end was rebuilt and installed upside down?? ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:10 am:

Thanks,
so it seems, they are mounted the wrong way. OK, I will change them.

But, what's about the outer tube of the differential ? It also has a seam. Does it also have to show downwards ?

Willi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:50 am:

Willi, I think the outer tube (torque tube) is just fine. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset England on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:04 am:

Doesn't the torque tube go so that its front bearing greaser is on top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:09 am:

When I remove the rear axle,then then universal joint is rotatable, so it can be on both sides.

But it was on the top and the seam is also on the top.

Willi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:06 pm:

Willi Kuehnis:

The grease hole in the torque tube must be up for the grease to get to the U Joint. If the large grease hole is down then so you can grease it from the bottom then you must drill a new hole in the tourque tube for the grease to reach the U joint. Some guys like to rotate the torque tube so they can grease it from the bottom so they don't have to take the floor boards out. But again you must drill a new ho.e in the torque tube. When the torque tube is upside down the two grease holes WILL NOT LINE UP. The reason the two grease holes will not line up is the torque tube is at a WAY DIFFERENT ANGLE !

Libby Flats 4

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration