1921 Firewall Finish?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 1921 Firewall Finish?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:37 pm:

I'll need to replace the wood firewall in my '21 Roadster next spring.

Originally, were they plain bare wood, painted, varnished, covered in bituminous roofing tar???

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:28 pm:

Painted. The finish was glossy when newly applied and just dried but it dulled rather quickly to a semigloss or satin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:41 am:

I never have owned a mid-production T with a wood firewall, so have a question. I hope John Regan will kick in here, since he is the firewall king! Are the 15-23 firewalls veneered?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 05:47 am:

I don't know if they're supposed to be or not, but I did my 22's in a oak veneered plywood, stained it and finished it with Varithane. Although it was probably really supposed to be black (every bloody thing else was).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:51 am:

The original firewall in my 15 was made similar to the older T firewalls. It has lumber core boards running vertically and veneer on both sides. However the grain of the veneer runs vertical which I believe differs from the earlier firewalls.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration