Way OT> Weatherstripping on windows

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Way OT> Weatherstripping on windows
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 04:14 pm:

I got this 1941 Oldsmobile I'v been working on. I need to replace all the weatherstripping on the windshield, Back window, and side windows. How do I do it without breaking the glass? The weatherstripping that in it now is hard as stone. Also it's got some dents on the roof where at some point in it's life it looks like someone rolled the car over with a chain. How does a person tap the roof straight again? To keep it kinda T related, Thats my 1919 touring car in the background....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:25 pm:

As far as the weather stripping on the front and rear windows goes, the chrome trim has to come off. if I remember correctly (from a long time ago), it snaps on. Except for the center bar in the front windshield. 'I think' that one is screwed on from the inside. Take that one out first. Then you should be able to cut, chip or break off the hard rubber to expose 2 bare pieces of glass with an air gap between them. That will give you a little 'slop' to start cutting off the rest of the hard rubber on the outside and lift the glass out. In case you don't already know, 41 Chevy (Coupe) glass and weather stripping is the same.
As for the dents, might as well figure on pulling the headliner out to gain access to them. Even if you were going to use the body shop trick and spot weld a rod to the dented area so you could 'pull' the dents out with a slide hammer, there's always the risk of setting the headliner on fire.
As with every other suggestion I make, I'm sure there's somebody here that's far more experienced at this than I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:55 pm:

Once you get the mouldings off you could try some of that wire that is used to cut out modern iron glue in windshields.

Do the quarter windows roll down? If not it's probably just held in by the interior garnish with a u shaped piece of rubber around the perimeter of the glass.

You can also try putting some mineral oil on the old rubber over the course of a few days to help soften it up, which may make it easier to get out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:11 pm:

Will,
This may work for you.........
Take the trim off the inside and with a razor knife cut the inside rubber retaining edge off. Then by pushing on the inside of the glass you should be able to get it out. Sometimes to accomplish this pushing move you may have to get creative with your limbs..........Make sure you have someone outside the car to catch it! By doing it like this you dont have to worry about the stainless trim until you get the window on
the workbench.
Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:15 pm:

Remove trim from inside,razor knife the old rubber around the glass.The back glass and windshield go in from the inside of the car,not outside.The chrome has to go around the back window before the glass can go in.That is why my pontiac aint furtherer along.I cant get the chrome to "latch" in.
Steele Rubber Products in Denver NC should have all the rubber and some guidlines on it's replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:17 pm:

Chrome has to go around the BACK WINDOW hole in the car body,not the glass.Didnt make that clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 04:55 am:

Thanks Mack. I knew there had to be somebody around here who could offer better information than I did. Upon reflection, Yes, cut the weather stripping out from the inside rather than from the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack J. Cole on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 08:22 am:

that center peice in the windsheild,you will learn some new words,maby even in a new lauguage and maby still dent it .mine is ruined.but the steel inside of mine was rusted away and I had to make new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:33 pm:

Thanks to everyone for your suggerstions. I'll let everyone know how I make out. Mack,,,I'm not real good at learning new lauguages but I have a feeling I could get better at it before I get this car done. Thanks again,

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration