Hayes wire wheel hubcaps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Hayes wire wheel hubcaps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:43 pm:

Where is the best source for reproduction hubcaps for Hayes demountable rim wire wheels?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:05 pm:

Good Luck I had several sets from a fellow in Calif and he said that's all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Young on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:54 pm:

Someone needs to run a batch. If so, I'm in for a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Wotherspoon - Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 10:08 pm:

There is a place in Australia who reproduces them. They are cast brass and quite a bit heavier than the original. You will need to nickle plate them if they are to look original. I bought a couple a few years ago and they were very good quality.

www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/hayes.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:57 pm:

How about a source for locking Buffalo hubcaps?

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:02 am:

Fellows,

Excellent reproduction Hayes hubcaps are available from Vintage and Classic Reproductions in Queensland Australia. These are lost wax castings of high quality. They are axact duplicates of the originals, not heavier sand cast roughies. Brass is no longer permitted in Australian foundries, so the alloy used is a little redder than brass. However, nickel plated as original, and no one will know.

The catalogue number is HAY-001 and the price in my 2006 catalogue is AUD$90.00. Ouch! Contact details are Email; vintagereproductions@bigpond.com
phone 61 7 3300 1130

I used to sell them for the previuos owner of the business, but the prices got a little steep. The product is still of excellent quality though

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:42 am:

Just got through doing this set of Dayton knock offs plus I have done the locking style in the past and have also done both the knock off style as well as the locking style for the Buffalo wheels. I have a Hayes cap now to reproduce but it has Jackson, Michigan rather USA under the Hayes name if I remember correctly since I don't have it in hand at the moment.

knock offs

I personally feel as long as some one out there is making these and doing a good job then I can go on to other projects. If $15 or $20 savings is going to prevents a purchase from this guy so be it. If the average guy knew the time it involves to reproduce a one off project like these Hayes cap his $90 price wouldn't seem too high.

Since the death of my partner that helped with machining I'm back to being a one man foundry/machine shop so I have to limit these low number time consuming projects now. At $90 a cap and I needed them to finish a car I know I would go for it. Just my take. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim morsher on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 12:55 pm:

originals that don't have the small writing buffed away by a previous "restorer" are tough to find....... i probably went through two dozen over a 2 year period to get a nice set. even now, my spare cap is perfect original except for a bullet hole in it, that came out of australia. i love it !
$90 for a lost wax casting is a bargain, and that is the only way to go. a sand casting would not pick up the needed detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 06:14 am:

Fellows,

I forgot to mention that some original hubcaps which fit Hayes wire wheels have turned up in Australia with no brand at all on the end. It is plain flat right across, not even a ridge around the edge of the octagon. I have a nickel plated one in my swap meet stock if anyone is interested.

Allan from down under

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration