1912 Kingston coil box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 1912 Kingston coil box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker,Brownsboro Tex on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:35 pm:

The 1912 firewall thread got me thinking about this. I have an original coilbox that is 1911 or 12 and the knob at the bottom of the switch is brass instead of the usual black one. The key doesn't say Kingston but instead has 3 round holes. Was this a variation or something a previous owner did, and maybe the key a replacement. The knob is round and smooth. I'd post a pic but haven't figured out how to resize photos on my new cellphone or the computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:59 pm:

The standard key was called a "switch plug" by Ford; it was a brass stem made from round rod inserted into a flat topped bakelite or rubber knob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker,Brownsboro Tex on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:07 pm:

My switch is exactly like the one on the box in Richard Gould's pics except the bottom knob is brass. His key looks flat like mine so but I can't tell about the 3 holes. Maybe we both have incorrect switch plugs? I've seen the ones like you describe with the bakelite knob. I know langs sells one that is similar to mine but has Kingston written on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 08:38 pm:

Cory, the switch in my pictures is the correct one for late 10 thru 11. My car is a Dec 11, chassis so I figured the switch would be correct.
RV may be referring to the 09 Kingston switch, or perhaps the Heinz, each of which I recall has the plug he describes, but the one you and I have with the flat key is the right one.
All the keys for that switch have the Kingston logo on it. They are very easy to reproduce, however, and it could be that a former owner made one or perhaps it was a replacement key from a dealer.
I have never seen one with a brass knob on the lever. I'd bet a former owner replaced the bakelite knob. They were considered a kick switch by some and were pretty easily broken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:58 pm:

I have a good K&W Switch for a 1912 Delta shaped complete with key. If anyone needs one let me know I think the repros are over $250+ now..
I have no plans for this one right now. $150

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration