Wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:27 pm:

This is what I wanted to share.

I have finally finished all four.
But there is a problem.

The second photo shows that I used a XXXXX fellow not a T part.
Note that the holes for the rim bolts do not match up.
The rim on the top is the T.
The rim on the bottom is XXXXX
This is easy to correct. I am sandblasting the upper fellow in the second photo and after it is primed and painted I will replace the XXXXX fellow.

But all of this caused me to look closely at the parts I am using and this is what I saw.

The fellows that I am using seem to be marked 30 X 3 1/2 but the rims are 21" split rims. As you can see in the first photo they fit together fine.
Is this a problem?

Also The last split rim that I have is in a tire, it came off of a car but it is bent so badly that I cannot force it on my new wheels.

How hard is it to repair a bent split rim that is OK otherwise?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:38 pm:

Straightening a bent split rim will require much talent and prayer. I'd look for another..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 12:06 am:

Dennis-
It looks like a Che^rolet felloe. If you line up the rim bolts, and re-drill the valve stem hole, you can probably make it work.
: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 12:13 am:

And not that it matters, but looking closely at the patent date of
9-29-1921 (Sept 29, 1921) tells me it is not a valid USPTO issue date.
The only months that the 29th would be a patent issue date in 1929 would be
March or November.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 03:54 am:

I would not take apart a good wheel to simply change the fellow because of a valve stem hole. Drill the hole where you need it. Epoxy is your friend. A little of your favorite backing (I like metal window screen) inside the fellow and filled out to sand smooth. No torch needed near the wood.
Others do disagree, but I have straightened several of the Ford 21 inch rims. They are fairly soft and bend fairly easily. Draw a proper circle on a large enough piece of cardboard to compare the rim to, and work the rim slowly and cold. Many non-Ford rims aren't so easy.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:40 pm:

Jack and Art - thank you for your responses.

Keith - from what I have read on the forum I was sure that it must be a Chevy fellow. I just don't know where I got it.

Wayne - My rims were all rusted through - go figure I live in a desert - the ones I have were hard to find so I will try your method.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration