Edison and Ford Winter Estates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Edison and Ford Winter Estates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:09 am:

We are thinking of visiting the Edison and Ford Winter Estates in Ft. Meyers, FL. Have any of you been? Is it worth a 6-8 hour drive? How long should we plan to stay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:45 am:

I spent about three hours there and felt there was nothing else to see. Worth the drive if you are interested in trivial pursuits of techie millionaires on vacation. The houses are of interest to anyone who enjoys the Craftsman style.

Not much automotive related except the two Model T's on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Ashton Rosenkrans on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:46 am:

If you're in the area, its worth spending a couple hours to see and hear the history. Don't think I'd make a 6-8 hr drive to go see though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:04 am:

I usually visit once or twice a year and find it interesting, end up spending the better part of the day but I tend to look at everything and not get in a hurry.

The Model T camp truck that Ford, Edison, Firestone used on their camping trips is on display in the museum portion as well as some other cars.

When in the area, there's alot of stuff to see if you're into old stuff in general.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bartlett on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:21 am:

The two houses are worth a visit,IF your fairly local. I would have been upset had I driven four hours

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Levans - Lafayette, Indiana on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:40 pm:

I spent the better part of an entire day there last spring and thought both the estates were fascinating, if nothing else but for the amazing variety of flora from all over the world. The museum was equally interesting to me, but I collect old phonographs... I dunno about driving 6-8 hours, but you can also swim in the gulf, etc. or at least we could in April.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 04:34 pm:

When visiting the Edison lab, be sure to see the banyan tree growing next to the parking lot. It's the most amazing "plant" I've ever seen. Actaully enjoyed it more than the estates. Very strange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 06:07 pm:

Thanks guys. I think we will wait and see if we ever find ourselves closer. Doesn't sound like it is worth the drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:23 am:

The place is interesting if you would like to see what the rich and famous lived like many years ago. If you're looking for Model T history, there isn't much of it though.
There's plenty of other things to see and do down here, if you wanted to make at least a weekend of it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration