Shipping a Frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Shipping a Frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:20 am:

I have an early frame I may list on Tbay. It's too long for UPS or Greydog. How can it be shipped?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:51 am:

Terminal to terminal (as opposed to door to door or business to business) shipping of large items is cheap. This means you deliver your frame to the Forward Air terminal at LAX or Long Beach, and the buyer picks up the frame at a Forward Air terminal nearest to his place. I would expect the frame would cost perhaps $100 to ship from LAX to anywhere they go, or less.

http://www.forwardair.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:36 pm:

Thanks for the lead, Royce. Here's the crux of my comm with them:

To: Custserv@Forwardair.com
Subject: Ford Model T Frame

I have a steel frame, approx 60 lbs, 102" x 27" x 10" that I need to ship from LAX area to PHL area, deliver and pick up at yaur stations.
Not time critical.

Does it have to be boxed, or just padded at the corners?

Approx cost?

Thanks, Ralph
-------

Hello,

Well you could box it and then place it on a skid or a pallet. This way it is fork lift accessible. This would be how I would do that.

Thank You,
Jane Reaves
Forward Air Inc. 800-726-6654 custserv@forwardair.com
------------------

Thanks for the quick reply. A sixty pound item needs to go on a skid or pallet? Now it will be closer to 100 lb, and too wide to go through any airplane cargo door I've seen. Do you ship long haul by truck, and side load?

Do you have some kind of a rate schedule for size and weight?
Thanks.
--------------

Hello,

As long as the dimensions do not exceed 52 11 long x 100 W x 108 H we can ship it.

Thank You,
Jane Reaves Forward Air Inc.
-----------------------------------

How do you deal with somebody who does everything except answer your questions?

I still don't know if I have to box it.
I still don't know if I have to put it on a pallet.
I still don't know how much it might cost.

Do you suppose Jane Reaves is really Ramesh Patel in Mumbai?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 12:09 am:

That's the trouble with email. People seem to hit send be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 12:10 am:

fore they are finished.

Hahaha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 09:59 am:

I would strap a 4x4 scrap under each end of the frame to make it easy to pick up with a forklift.

A couple of cardboard pieces taped to the corners to keep the boys at the terminal happy and you should be all set.

I would also call the terminal and get a contact you can actually talk to. Makes things a bit easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 10:34 am:

Best thing to do would be to wrap carboard around it on the corners and just show up at the terminal. They will weigh it and give you a quote for shipping. You don't need a pallet, just a piece of cardbaord to attach the waybill to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:58 am:

Hello,

In 2003 or 4 I had a frame shipped to me from Texas (I'm in Michigan).
It was about $130 at that time, shipped FED EX.
Believe it or not, it wasn't wrapped or palleted, and it came through fine!
Two tips I'd suggest though.
First, make sure that it isn't shipped as 'auto parts'- maybe claim it as artwork or something, there was (at that time anyway) a surcharge on auto parts. That may or may not be the case now.
Second, have it shipped to work or a business if you can. It cut the cost significantly to have it sent to my work. Plus, I got to show it off alot.

Obviously, things have probably changed some in the last 7 years or so, but those were my experience.

Thanks, and your mileage may vary!

JK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 03:23 pm:

Fed Ex wouldn't take a frame I tried to ship this year. The dimensions exceeded their limits. I finally shipped mine to Mass from the truckers dock in Sacramento for $300. It took some looking around, I was quoted ridiculous prices by some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay_from_Wayne on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 10:54 am:

The most ridiculous part was I only paid the guy in Texas $20 for the frame, it cost almost 7 times that to ship it!!!
Oh well, we do what we have to, eh?

JK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 11:41 am:

Last year I shipped an entire VW beetle body shell from Wi to Florida. I had to build a pallet and strap it on. It cost the buyer $360. It went from terminal to terminal with Yellow freight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:24 am:

Ralph;
I shipped an early frame back east a couple of years ago with Forward Air Express. It goes by dimensional weight when crated; you can call them for an estimate. Because it was early and I didn't want it tweaked at all so I built a crate using 2x2, 1x2 and 1/4" plywood. Once I got to the terminal to drop it off they gave me an exact cost and I had to buy a money order to pay up front. There was a 7/11 store that sold them about 10 minutes away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:27 am:

My 2 cents,
Frames don't normally fetch enough to make it worth the trouble. Forget the headache of shipping it, just put 'Pick up only' in your listing.

Probably enough Ebay buyers around there willing to make the trip to your location I'm sure. Half the T stuff I sell on Ebay ends up being shipped out to SoCal for some reason (and I live in Illinois) Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 03:32 am:

Tell them it's class 50 freight to get the cheapest rate but then it will be handled like class 50 freight. (The higher the class, the better the handling.) Forward Air does a good job but like someone else said, it's best to call.

I have shipped several arcade and pinball machines right from my home via Foreward and have never had an issue. They come right to the house, pick them up and put edge connectors and wrap them in blankets right there in my driveway.

And yes you can send it Fed-X. But remember, there are two different Fed-X companies - the Fed-X we grew up knowing, and the newer Fed-X Economy Freight company. Fed-X Freight will ship anything of any size just like a regular common carrier.

And above all, avoid UPS Freight Lines like the plague...unless you feel like paying through the nose.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration