Model TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Model TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 05:02 pm:

Can you tell what year the model TT is with the casting numbers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 05:29 pm:

Often you can get a good idea from the engine serial number. However, my TT has a '23 engine, but it is apparently a replacement engine installed later. Many of it's other features indiate it's a 1918. Remember, TT's were used to work. Many "in the day" owners just did what was needed and cheap to keep them running, whether it was year correct or not.

A few things to look at that may help narrow it down:

1. Short or long runing boards?
2. Patent plate style?
3. Bead or no bead on rear end clamshells at axle tube openings?
4. Long or short chassis rear cross member?
5. Screw-in or clamp-on horn button?
6. Wood or metal fire wall?
7. Tall or short radiator?
8. Differential spider or shaft?

That's all I can think of right now. A picture might help me or others narrow down the year for you. Some of us never do know for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:18 pm:

There is no electric starter or place for one.
no cab parts yet It has two trannys and worm drive rear..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:48 pm:

I cant put photos on right now but when I figure it out I will put them on here....

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:51 pm:

To add a few things to Henry's list, Round or oval gas tank, single or double front spring clamp. shield below radiator. Mine has a date stamped in the front axle on the driver's side of the license plate bracket.

I'm not an expert on the subject but there are people on this forum who are. If you could post some pictures, it would be very helpful. If you have trouble with the photo's, just holler.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:54 pm:

Greg if there is no place for a starter its either an early 19 engine of back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:55 pm:

It is my belief that you could purchase a new TT any time during the production years 1919-27 (one year after they were intorduced) as an "electric" or "non-electric", that is with or without battery, starter and generator. If anyone else can say with certianty that I'm right or wrong, please chime in.

The worm drive is standard on a TT for all years of production. They came in a high ratio or low ratio configuration. Most were low ratio. Take a look at the rear end clamshells. If there is a bead on them at the axle tube opening it is a very early TT. If not, it's a later production truck (unless the rear end has been replaced). If you ever take it apart, you can also tell an early from a late production truck by whether it has a differential spider or shaft. The shaft (2 pinion gears) would be an early truck, a spider (3 pinion gears) would be a later production truck.

By 2 transmissions I assume you mean the standard T planetary transmission with the foot pedals and something else behind it. The something else behind it is an after-market add on, very common in the TT's and will probably not provide any clues as to year model because it could have been added anytime after the truck came off the assembly line, when new or years later.

Another thing I overlooked in my first post: does it have a Ford steel cab/bed? If so, it is a 1924 or later. If not, then there's no clue there as the "running chassis" trucks were offered during the entire production of TT's and trucks with cab and bed didn't appear until 1924.

The fact that you state there is "no starter or place for one" suggests to me it could be a 1918 because it is my beleif that from 1919 on they were either equiped with a starter or the hogshead had the necessary openings that were blanked off. Can you get the engine serial number from the left (drivers) side of the block on the machined area just above the water inlet (at the top of the tube that comes up from the bottom of the radiator)? That will tell us the production date of the engine.

As you can see, TT's are a challage to date. Don't give up. They offer clues if you're persistent. It's kind of fun to do the research and see if you can figure it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:17 pm:

the numbers are gone and it has one tranny forward and one backwards hooked together behind the planetary with the pedals the fire wall is metal other than that i have few parts as yet but the shed i got it out of was an old model t and a garage with alot of parts still looking thanks it has a sylenoid with a knob on it on the firewall looks like ignition switch of some kind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:04 pm:

Can someone explain to me how to post a picture on here? It reads that I need to make my picture size smaller. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:25 pm:

my ford tt Not sure if this is the correct gas tank for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:33 pm:

engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:56 pm:

An odd thing about that chassis, in addition to the home made "tractor" wheels, is the battery carrier that's apparently been installed near the rear of the frame. Those TT's with a factory installed battery had it behind the driver's side running board. Wonder why a battery carrier was added to a truck with no starter or generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:43 am:

Boy, if that thing could talk, think of the stories it could tell!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:05 am:

That is one loooooong truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 02:11 am:

Wow. That's really something. It has 2 rear chassis crossmembers. It looks like the rear axle has been moved back at least 2 feet. The round gas tank, the double front spring clamp and the short running boards indicate it was originally an early production TT. The metal firewall suggests a little later production. I'm thinking it's a truck someone put together from what they could find to accomplish a particualr purpose, whatever that might have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:59 am:

Looks to me like someone stretched the length of the chassis so they could add the extra transmission(s) without shortening the driveline. It's much easier to do it that way if you're a farmer, rather than someone with a machine shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 05:21 pm:

thanks for all the input i will put more pics on shortly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 05:21 pm:

thanks for all the input i will put more pics on shortly

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration