A Stand Up Barn Yard Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: A Stand Up Barn Yard Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:11 pm:

Wonder how he hooked up the vacuum fuel pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:16 pm:

I wonder if that radiator held enough water to cool the engine for more than 2 or 3 minutes? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 08:16 pm:

Is there any front suspension?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 08:42 pm:

You can see one of the spring shackles in the lower right corner of the picture. The spring was hidden behind the front axle. The spring was actually in it's original position, but the front axle had been moved up and forwards to lower the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:10 pm:

He's livin' large. His not so fresh looking speedster has snagged him not one, but two girls!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:22 pm:

The vacuum tank fuel pumps were quite popular to use on model T Fords in those days.
They would be a good era correct way to get gas to the carb today but they are hard to find. Too bad someone doesn't start making them again.
All the ones I have come accross lately are junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:40 pm:

Hmmm. I may have to take down that wall hanger I got and check out it's innerds. Don't really need it on the speedster but would be a neat conversation piece. There is one on the Whippet but it's by passed (Electric fuel pump).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 02:37 am:

My red boat-tail has a vacuum tank. They work nice, when they work.

There still seem to be a lot of them around. However a lot of them are junk. We chased troubles with this one for over a year. But I think we got it working pretty well now.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:30 pm:

When you say junk, are there pot metal valves inside some of them or just the ordinary 80 year old - messed up by every owner before - parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 04:06 pm:

Wally Deck from IL. Rebuilds them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 04:25 pm:

The working parts are brass. It's mostly the inner tank that goes bad. That's what my wall hanger had. Good upper parts but inner tank missing. Might look at the one on the Whippet. It's only for display anyway so maybe I can swap them if the inner tank on it is any good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 03:23 am:

Both the inner tank and outer tank are prone to serious rust-out. The inner tank cannot have any air leak at all or the pump will not work well enough to be effective (I've spent a bit of time soldering or brazing them). With age, some of the valve seats have become loose, and the brass springs have become weak and/or brittle. Many of the springs fall apart into several small pieces.
The tank on the boat-tail was on another speedster for awhile. On an Endurance Run, we had numerous failures due to junk from a fuel tank that had sat for a little too long plugging up the works (turned out, it had some leaves in it). We battled that for a ways and got things working really well. While cleaning the last of the junk out, I routinely shook the float to make sure it wasn't leaking and looked it over closely. It looked fine. Believe it or not, not ten miles later, not half an hour later, the vacuum tank failed again. When we pulled it apart that time, the float had four large vertical cracks in it and was full of gasoline!
I removed the tank from that car, replaced the float with one from a rusted out tank and put it on this car.
Except for some more plugging up from what appeared to have been a mouse nest in this cars gas-tank (I gotta clean those tanks out better), it has worked fairly well since. It has completed one 200-mile Endurance Run, and a fluke piece of remaining mouse nest got into a spot that was hard to find causing us to not complete another run (since found and repaired). But the springs, valves, and float, so far are still okay.
The truth is, sometimes the runs you barely make it to, and then have lots of problems on, are often the most fun! I like my cars returned to the era and technology as they were in their day. I also have had a few non-Fords with vacuum tanks. One I had lots of trouble with. Backfires you could hardly hear would blow the vacuum line valve out of the top casting. The valve could not shut off when full and gasoline would be sucked straight into the intake manifold. (To answer a question some who know may have, yes, the anti-backfire fitting was in place.)
The other few cars I had worked almost trouble free. I still like to run them, and will tinker quite a bit to get one working well in hopes of many trouble free years. Generally, when they work, they work well.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 05:51 am:

Here is a vacuum tank installation on my TT...working great for 20 yearsVacuum tank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:37 am:

On working on the wall hanger found the small overflow tube was plugged solid. Kinda small for a mud wasp but something packed it with a dried mud like substance in the bend area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard from San Buenaventura, Calif on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:31 pm:

I understand that some Speedsters use a pump to pressurize the system when climbing uphill, but how does this vacuum canister gets activated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:53 pm:

Bernard - In John's excellent photo above, see the vacuum line from the top of the canister that runs down to where it's tapped into the intake manifold? Just like you'd run a vacuum windshield wiper motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:51 pm:

Usually there is enough gas in the carb and fuel canister to get the engine going and start the vacuum tank fuel system process. Some cars also had a vacuum pump on the dash to pull gas into the canister and get things started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:57 pm:

This explains the operation pretty well. xhttp://hudsonterraplane.com/tech/stewart/StewartVacuumTankModel113-UBooket2039.p df

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration