OT: Car Club members can't figure out what this is...Can you?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT: Car Club members can't figure out what this is...Can you?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:55 pm:

At tonight's meeting one of the members brought this gizmo to see if anyone could identify it, but no luck. Not clear in the photos but doubtless relevant, there is an approx 1/8" hole through the end of each arm, which goes through the brass pads visible at each arm end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:59 pm:

How about water witcher wand,man made ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:02 am:

Part of a transit. other pieces missing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A. Woods on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:06 am:

I side with Dave. The adjustable legs looked like a telescope that I once had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Frost Pierce on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:34 am:

Its an artist stand for painting pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Frost Pierce on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:38 am:

Its an artist stand for pictures while painting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Frost Pierce on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:41 am:

Its an artist stand for pictures while painting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:22 am:

Lee.I Think all three of you maybe right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders-Auburn Al on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:39 am:

It's a tripod leg...clips into the camera base...need two more legs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 02:26 am:

I think it's a railroad agent's order stick. the orders are fastened to a string strung between the two arms and held up when the train runs by--the engineer or fireman puts his arm out, snags the string and papers.
Not a common piece!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:56 am:

Good morning all, thanks for all your suggestions (and thank you thank you thank you, Lee).

I'm leaning toward the one-leg-of-a Tripod or Transit, given the light, collapsable construction and a no-slip point on the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:05 am:

David,
When I saw the ? standing up that was my first thought also. A railroad order hoop. It has the Y shape of one. Then I reconsidered, too many pieces ....you want it to weigh the least amount possible. With over 40 years working for the Railroad I had never seen one fold up. Now my guess is a tripod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:43 am:

I think it's one leg of an early camera tripod or easel. It's a little short and light duty to be a transit or level tripod. My guess would be that the 2 arms are braces that attach to the other legs for lateral stability. Just a guess, and worth what you paid for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:56 am:

I retract what I said about the lateral braces. I think the 2 arms are the upper part of the tripod leg between the camera platform and the adjustable lower section. I'm sticking to the camera tripod idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:04 pm:

One leg of an old camera tripod. The nail at the single end grips into the ground. Folds and collapses for transport. Good picture above, with a more modern rubber tipped leg.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration