Test drive = heating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Test drive = heating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 06:25 pm:

So it was 27 deg. this A.M. and I was just about done with the valve work, new timer, coil box, etc. I needed to do a test drive. It was by now in the upper 30s and I bundled up well. Lizzy warmed up and I learned where the new sweet spot is for the timing, carb adjustment, etc.
It was time for the local schools to let out so I drove past several packs of kids. It was so cold but when you see the kids notice Lizzy, eyes get big, fingers point, hands wave. Then the shrieks of excitement when they hear the horn. Sure felt like it was about 75 deg out.

I was out for a serious mechanical reason, but it was great to be reminded how much fun it is to share the T with others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence J. Bohlen on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:27 pm:

Erich,

I think you redid your coil box with the FP kit.??
You will love it.
I did mine and she's never run better.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial Davis of Veneta, Oregon on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:28 pm:

haha..that's so cool...My grandaughters (age 5 and 10) both love my coupe. Even if we can't take it out for a drive, they always want to see it when they come over and climb up on the running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:41 pm:

Part car, part history lesson, part exploration tool, part time machine, 100% smile maker.

Larry, yes I did and it is a big improvement. Between that coil box, the new valves, cleaned out intake ports, I can already tell she runs stronger and smoother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:42 pm:

Also the new timer from Tip Top Timers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:58 pm:

Upper 30's??????????????????? Bundled up???????????

That's summer here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:04 pm:

That's the end of the world here....

Any time there's enough frost or snow to spill over the tops of Birkenstocks=major league whining around these parts.

When there's ice on the roads, at the first corner you come to, theres a pile of volkswagen toaster vans with bald tires in the ditch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:15 pm:

It was 17 here last night.......but still NO SALT......so it's T weather yet.
Forecast is 2 to -3 tonight but still NO SALT so.......
EVERYBODY loves a T it seems....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:42 pm:

cold here too today Erik.
We are about 15 miles accross the water from San Francisco.
It was in the low 60's today and tonight they expect it to drop down to 50. That's about 5 degrees colder than usual.
I almost stopped on the way home to put my top up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:29 am:

I like how you describe them as "packs of kids" :-) Glad we can take them out any chance we get!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:21 pm:

Some adults are to self conscious to wave or even smile, but kids just get excited and don't care if anyone knows it.

Stan, you are tougher than me. Lizzy and I don't leave the garage if it is below freezing usualy. So far we are being blessed with cold but clear and dry winter days. Already looking forward to the first drive of the new year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:26 pm:

Warm and sunny here in the daytime at least the 60's. Dropped to 45 last night. But I don't drive the T at night anyway. I just wish all the leaves would fall. I keep raking, but next day more are on the ground. It was windy a few days ago, but still not all the leaves fell!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:39 pm:

Just to add my $0.02 to this discussion,......I grew up in the Chicago area, lived in Western Montana for 10 years, and as of now, about 30 years in the Seattle/Tacoma area. And I can tell you from experience that the usually dry Montana air really does make quite a difference. I remember ice fishing around Montana's Canyon Ferry Reservoir and Georgetown Lake areas, and having to take of a layer or two of clothing off, on "below zero" days because I was dressed too warm. However, in Chicago, you can put on all of the winter clothing you have, on a winter day that's only down in the "teens" or low 20's, and still be cold! Same thing to a somewhat lesser degree in Western Washington. Been here over 30 years and we STILL miss the climate in Montana. It is kind of a nuisance ice fishing or on a picnic however, to start eating a good sandwich, only to have the bread totally dried out by the time you're only halfway finished with the sandwich though! We never did get used to that! Growing up in the Chicago area, I had never experienced a sandwich drying out like that; we laughed about that in Montana, every time it happened!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 01:48 pm:

So, if Harold is correct, I may be tougher than Stan after all. Did I mention I did that test drive while wearing shorts?

We do have a very wet cold here and it gets into any clothes you can wear.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration