Square Socket for Main Bearing Cap Screws?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Square Socket for Main Bearing Cap Screws?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 06:30 pm:

In the course of a teardown on my motor cast in July of 1922, I ran into the main bearing caps that are retained by square headed screws and nuts. The official Model T club book on motors advises the use of a square headed socket, the newly written Zannis book says an ordinary socket should work.

Not having a square socket I tried an ordinary one on the No 1 Main and got both bolts loose without trouble. On the second main, the socket slipped and I thought I better stop & ask for help. Will an 8 point socket work? What do you use? What torque do you use putting it back together?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 06:59 pm:

Paul,

You can watch for one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Wrench-5z-156-/300627247247?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Pa rts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fec7c08f

or find an alternative, which is what I did. Can't remember what size it was but I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer. Since then I've picked up the correct Ford tool but never used it. As the link suggests, if you wait for the right auction you can get one fairly cheap.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:04 pm:

Thanks Craig, I can see how that ought to work fine. No way to get a torque on it though so perhaps this isn't too important. It would be great to have one of these even if something more modern might do the job.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:16 pm:

I have a 3/8 ths. inch drive eight point socket set and one socket fits that center main in fact I have a full set of eight point sockets even down to 1/4 inch drive. Craftsman makes them or at least sells them at their stores. They are around and all over the place of you look. I got my set at a garage sale for $10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Stephan on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:03 pm:

Buy a single 9/16 eight point socket and keep it forever! I would suggest 1/2 inch drive. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:32 pm:

OK, 8 point sockets will work and they are pretty easy to find. Thanks for the tip.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:38 pm:

Sears has 9/16 square 8pt about $6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:39 pm:

Some where in the past I aquired an old set of 1/2 inch drive sockets for square headed bolts and nuts. Comes in handy now and then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:55 pm:

I have a single 9/16 8 point socket that I keep just for this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle USA!!! on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:34 pm:

Craftsman has the 9/16 8 point socket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:10 pm:

Re: "square headed screws and nuts". While the bolts would have square heads the nuts would be 6 pointed castle type. If you don't have the correct nuts you need to get them, other wise the cotter pins do no good.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1655

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick .... Penn Valley, CA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 01:52 am:

I've got a nifty wrench which looks like the #615 in Craigs' link. The other end fits up to the rod nuts. As I recall it can reach them all, even on a 3 dip pan.

If I remember I will go out and shoot a photo of it tomorrow when it warms up a bit.

Terry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration