The importance of potting your coils or a drive in the cold on 3 cylinders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: The importance of potting your coils or a drive in the cold on 3 cylinders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:34 pm:

I took Nellybell to work today, it was 35 but not foggy.
About half way to work she started missing. When I got to the shop I found the offending coil and swapped it around to see if it was the coil. It was. When I pulled it back out I noticed that the cover did not have it's nails holding it on. I pulled the cover off. It was the one coil I missed when I was re-potting the others. The Nice orange drop was just hanging on by one end. The wire at the other end had broke off about 1/4 inch from the condenser. I was able to twist the wires together and was back in business. I wondered why the points were arcing more then they should. Anyway, good point in making sure that your re-build coils are potted. The thermometer on the back porch showed 39 when I got home at 5PM. Time to do some coils. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 03:17 am:

Mark, perhaps some M.B.R.T. is in order? Glad you got Nellybell home and figured the problem quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:15 am:

:-)Thanks. I will have to break off some more chunks get them melted and re-pot after replacing the orange drop.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration