Selling another one

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Selling another one
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:55 pm:

We often get posts by folks who want to sell a T for a friend or relative. Here's another. This gentleman in Pennsylvania sent me pictures of a speedster he's helping a friend unload. It belonged to her late husband and she's decided it's time for the car to go. They're seeking advice on pricing and possible leads. I'm sending him a link to this page so he can read the comments directly. If anybody here is interested in the vehicle, here's contact info:

Mark Pflueger <chopperparts(at)msn.com>
(814) 460-1256

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:24 pm:

I thought there would be at least a few comments on this car and maybe some estimates of value. It's certainly not to my taste in its present form, but it's worth something. If I were interested in buying it, I'd offer three grand. How far off am I?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:41 pm:

A car that color should be parked in front of the Mustang Ranch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:07 pm:

Depending on what shape the mechanicals are in, I wouldn't go over $1800 or so. $2000 if the fenders aren't full of mud or beat to hell. If it was close by I'd at least go by and look at it, but PA is a long way from FL.

You're basically buying a chassis with some fenders thrown in the deal. The body that's on it doesn't appear to be anything special, but someone wanting a good basis for a Speedster might like it.

*just my opinion!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:11 pm:

The side and tail lamp are Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:32 pm:

I would have to agree with Luke. You have a chassis, a tank, and 2 seats. The wood looks like it all needs to be replaced. Fenders and running boards are extra to give away.

Someone sold a running rebuilt speedster here in northern WI for just under 4K a couple months ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:41 pm:

Steve,

The best you can do for a friend of a friend is to see if anyone here hails from the area. NW PA area code is a big chunk of space! Have your friend post a 'where' and maybe there is someone close enough to take a run over.

The powerplant just may be a sleeper, then again it might have apoplexy...and that difference could be a big swing either way! As a parts project car...Luke is pretty close....as a mild runner in need of finishing, your number is close...if it's a sleeper then the rolling chassis alone would beat either number...thats from an East Coast view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:54 pm:

It is what it is. I've been trying to sell a speedster that I think looks more appealing than that one for $4000 and I still have not sold it. I don't know if it is that economy or if speedsters are not as popular as they once were, but I think if I were selling it five years ago, it would have been sold on the first day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 05:08 am:

Just a year ago, I sold this one for under $3000. I needed the money and had been trying to sell it for six months. Don't be fooled. My car was not a jewel. It was a mediocre restoration with a nice front end, a basically rebuilt rear end, and a decent engine with modern valves and tightened bearings. The radiator was ugly, but had completed two 200 mile endurance runs on two different cars with little trouble. It was running nice and driving really well.

Shown just for comparison.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 11:03 am:

I think your biggest problem is location, location, location.

If you live in the wrong place, it is too far for the buyers to get to your speedster to look at it or ship it.

I am thinking most speedsters are in California or the midwest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 11:11 am:

Ned P
Post a picture and location ,you might find some help here.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:23 pm:

I can get the picture small enough to post. I'm located in Sioux City, Iowa which is where South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa meet. I could email pictures to someone who knows how to resize it correctly. We are going out to LA, California after Christmas to pick up an engine could possibly deliver it out west or anywhere in between Sioux City, Denver, Las Vegas, or LA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Oregon on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:34 pm:

Ned I have the same problem and marvel at the guys that slap 'em up. My kid showed me how to do it and by the time I want to post a picture I forget how to do it. I belong to another forum and the program re sizes the picture automatically. Sweet.
Wayne I remember your speedster. I thought it was a fair deal all the way around. If I didn't just buy my roadster I might have driven down to see you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard from San Buenaventura, Calif on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:47 pm:

Uglyness doesn't sell, and I am not afraid to call -- literally -- more than half of the Speedsters on the road ugly in a sense that they are just wrong. Wrong color, wrong materials, wrong proportions, you name it.

But I'm keeping track on what Speedsters sell for and even ignoring the Frontenac-powered one that went for $25K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200663169866&ssPag eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

there are quite a few that brought good money.

Here is one for $18,1K. Too purdy for me, color really turns me off, but it sold for top money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=1807 64793757&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Here's another one, an old Rootlieb kit. Dated, but not a bad car. Reserve not reached at $10,6K on initial run:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=1606 89063383&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Wayne, I'm sure I could sell that yellow car for more than twice that today, because it looks "right."

Here's an ugly yellow one that sold for $9,750:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230684524812&ssPag eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yours has character. I wouldn't mind be seeing in it during daylight, and yellow is probably one of my least favorite colors for a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 05:13 pm:

Ned and Mike, you can use this. It's easy. Try it.

http://www.picresize.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 08:21 pm:

Bernard, "Here's an ugly yellow one that sold for $9,750":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230684524812&ssPag eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Take another look. I appears that somebody made a healthy profit on Wayne's car after they added fenders and a monocle windshield.

BTW- I don't find either incarnation of it ugly. But, we're all entitled to our opinions.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration