New day timer box reproduction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: New day timer box reproduction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Mullis on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:48 am:

I am planning to reproduce a small quantity of the New Day Timer "BOX".
Problem is, I've never seen one.
Does anybody have one that they are willing to part with? Can someone post photos of "all" sides of an original box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:33 pm:

Michael:

I have some spare new day Timers. Give me your address and I will send you one. I hope I know what you mean when you say BOX ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:34 pm:

Michael:

I have some spare new day Timers. Give me your address and I will send you one. I hope I know what you mean when you say BOX ? I will try and send you a picture so we are sure that we are talking about the same thing ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:38 pm:

Michael:

I got to thinking maybe you meant the card board box that the timers came in. I do have one of them also and can send you some pictures of the carboard box. I thought you meant the actual time itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Mullis on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 10:56 pm:

Dave I meant the cardboard box.
Pictures will be a big help.
thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:33 am:

Here is a link to a past thread , that has a picture of one side of the box. Regards, John

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/70848.html?1225224370

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:50 am:

I have one I could phototgraph if you are stuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 09:38 am:

This is a box I've had going on 40 odd years....dunno if it is a repro or not, but the ink is in fact oil based ink and not flexo.

(I had to help the flaps a bit, they were quite ratty. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 09:45 am:

and what are we going to do with the box, as it won't fit our T's and it won't help it run? Most throw them away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George - Cherry Hill New Jersey on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 09:45 am:

you know....some days you really should have coffee first :-(

D'uh....ask for New Day? I come back to Tiger...where my head is, I don't know.....sorry...off for coffee now, will do better, promise :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 10:36 am:

I have several different timer boxes including two or three different New Day. The repro boxes from the 70's are pretty close to the originals but not exact. Somewhere in the old forums there are pictures of several different ones that I've posted over the year including a NOS Ecco (The ball bearing timer), Turner, Tiger, etc. Steve Tomaso has also put up some pics of his. If you haven't already found a decent New Day box to copy let me know and I'll see if I can get one sent to you one of these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 11:37 am:

I have several NOS boxes with the timers still in them, and some more NOS timers without boxes. I could probably use a couple of boxes for them. It sort of seems like you are going to a lot of work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Mullis on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 06:36 pm:

Thanks Stan.

Alot of trouble??? not really its one of the types of things that I like to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 08:26 pm:

My brother took courses in Library restoration some years ago. It is amazing how much you can do to restore boxes. Some form of alcohol (denatured I think) was used to wet and soften paper and light cardboard in order to fold or flatten it. Whereas water would soften the paper for folding, it also speeds up decomposition and stains dramatically. The alcohol softens the paper, but does little to aid decomposition and staining.
Rice paper is used as a backing to repair tears along with a special library paste. The rice paper virtually disappears when it is dry.
Of course, one must decide what should remain truly original, and what should be restored.
I do like to see the incidentals preserved also.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration