Universal Joint wear - is this a problem ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Universal Joint wear - is this a problem ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:02 pm:

Hi,

I am disassembling my read axle. Now I am looking at the Universal joint - I don't understand, is this wear acceptable ? (see fotos)
When I measure (it's about the same on both bolts), it's about 4mm, I think, for the americans it's 0.17. That's a lot. Do I have to buy a new one ?

But: When I was driving, I didn't have any problems with this. Why?

Thanks for ideas .
Willi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:42 pm:

A previous thread at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/73814.html?1227810788

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:10 pm:

The movement you are showing is not wear. Wear is measured where the pins enter the cage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:00 am:

OK, Thanks, then maybe this is OK ?
Then I think I have to check the play of the bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 07:06 pm:

Willi,

That's normal. What you want to look for is slop between the pins and the holes. In other words, if you hold one end of the joint still, how much can you rotate the other end due to play/wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 04:16 am:

The pins in the holes are good, there is not much play.

Thanks, then it's OK.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration