Craig's tudor project update 12/09/11

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Craig's tudor project update 12/09/11
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:14 pm:

We've been making steady progress and the chassis is now ready to go back together. The frame, axles, springs, shackles, perches and radius rods have all been blasted, primed, and painted. The rear end was rebuilt with new brass thrust washers (babbitt ones were so bad they nearly crumbled upon disassembly, neoprene axle seals, and aluminum outer caps with o-rings. Sleeves were switched from inside to outside and all the Hyatt bearings were checked for tight cages and sizing within tolerance. Springs were painted and also have graphite between them. All bushings have been replaced in the springs and perches. The front perches were replaced due to lack of maintenance at some point in the past resulting in the originals being worn so much they didn't look safe. The bushings were worn into two pieces and fell out when the shackles were removed! Spindles have new brass and steel bushings but have not been reamed to fit the axle yet. Wonder how they were reamed at the plant so fast?

6
1
2
3
4
5

Craig


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 12:26 am:

Looks awesome!!!! I'm envious.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 01:24 am:

Thanks Jim. I saw your profile photo, betcha I'm more envious than you!


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 11:17 pm:

Today's progress:

In the morning when I finally dragged myself out of bed, we put the rear spring in the frame and then attached it to the rear end. If only it was as easy as it is to type that.....

8

At first it fell together but then when one shackle was connected the other side was several inches away from being in the right place. Without being able to lower the body down and put weight on it, we put blocks under the ends of the spring and then used a ratchet strap to pull the frame down towards the axle. It finally got close enough to tap the second shackle in. The next time I have to do that I think I'll use a ratchet strap on both sides of the rear crossmember instead of just one.

After that we put the front spring in the frame and installed new perches in the front axle. The front axle was connected to the spring and I reamed the spindles to fit.

9

Removing the T handle from the spindle reaming tool and chucking it into a cordless drill is so much nicer than trying to fit everything by hand.

Spent the remainder of the day cleaning the gears in the Jumbo and also doing some work on a rifle build for a customer. Can't wait to have this thing back on wheels!

Craig


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 02:12 am:

Looks like its gonna be a new T.

Looking great Craig.


Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration