Elk on Main Street

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Elk on Main Street
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 10:35 pm:

Wednesday was a nice day so the wife and I jumped in our 24 coupe and took a short run up to Estes Park. For those that unfamiliar with Estes Park, its a tourist town of 5,000 meople at an evation of 6,291. We parked the coupe on main street and walked along the shops window shopping. We came up to about 20 people gathered in one spot on the sidewalk. They were taking pictures of a large bull elk eatin leaves between the side walk and main street. He was not paying any attention to the people taking the pictures, some about 6 feet away from him. There was a small tree close by were he was eating the leaves that had strings of Christmas Light in it. Some of the lights got tangled in his horns but he just went on eating. He was completly blocking one lane of traffic, so the cars had to stop and go around him. One of the store owners came out with wire cutter to try and cut the wires but he just slowly backed away and pulled the lights with him. After the store owner went back inside the store he wondered back to where he had been eating the leaves and continued. I don't think you can see any of the lights in his horns

elk on main 1

elk on main 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 11:49 pm:

I've had turkeys, deer, and armadillos, but I haven't had one of those in my yard yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:51 am:

Looks like a Raindeer to me!
Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 01:57 am:

A few years back, I was driving on a dark night along a winding Northern Califunny road (hwy 101 near Laytonville). I went around a bend and saw the biggest bull elk I ever saw alongside two cows (does?). I hit the brakes and tried to slip quietly past them as the bull elk ran first one way across the road, then the other. As I drove past, I realized that his shoulder was higher than the top of my side windows. And my C###y Suburban was not small! Those things get BIG!
Thank you for sharing the experience.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:21 pm:

Maybe he was eating as a diversion to the real task of decorating his antlers! :-) :-)

They certianly do get BIG and beautiful. Thanks for the post, Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:31 pm:

You guys have got nothing on us South New Jersey hicks. We've got deer, (actually running around in our development), Wild turkeys and skunks. Plus I believe the annual black bear hunt is just ending up north.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration