A pleasant Surprise when taking down my mighty TT engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: A pleasant Surprise when taking down my mighty TT engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 11:54 pm:

So, as you may remember, I am the proud owner of a pile of parts, that's a TT. I finally have the whole truck located snugly in my shed, near the wood-stove. Now I can tinker in comfort.

The first pleasant surprise, was finding a frame number on the chassis, which makes it an August 1926 Canuck-Truck.

My engine was partially disassembled when I got it, and I took it apart yesterday. I was pleased to find new oversize valves, adjustable tappets, standard size iron pistons, and a crank that hardly measures any wear. With a little judicious filing, and building up the babbit on the third main thrust face, I should be good to go. I'll shove some new rings in there too. Boy, am I going to learn allot about the innards of the T engine and transmission. The rods, and mains all have 3 thousandths clearance now, which I believe means they will talk (knock) at me.

What a nice surprise this turned out to be. I figured the engine would be more knackered than it is. This makes up for not finding a mag ring, clutch disks and brake drum in my buckets and boxes of parts! Looks like I'll be on the road sooner than I thought. Provided I don't find a bad surprise when the rear axle and aux trans get opened to clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 06:34 am:

That's got to be nicer than finding everything you touch, worn to the bone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:20 am:

Be kind to your crankshaft, put almuminum pistons in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 10:19 am:

That's the eventual plan Neil, along with rebabbiting. I'm pleased to put that work off for a while, and spend the money elsewhere for the time being. You know how it goes, only so much time & money to go around!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration